SA porn channels on StarSat challenged

The Justice Alliance of SA has filed papers in the High Court in Cape Town to challenge Icasa’s decision to allow three pornographic channels to be broadcast on TV

By - August 5, 2014 Share on LinkedIn
Adults only censored online dating

The Justice Alliance of SA (Jasa) on Tuesday, 5 August 2014, said it had filed papers in the High Court in Cape Town to challenge Icasa’s decision to allow three pornographic channels to be broadcast on TV after 8pm.

“Jasa believes that it is a step too far to introduce pornography to the family TV, which is usually in the only living room in the home,” Jasa said in a statement.

“Inevitably children will be aware of it, even if parents attempt to prevent them watching. The 8pm watershed period is absurd because teenage children settle down to watch TV at that time after doing their homework.”

Jasa said it was supported by applications brought by Cause for Justice and Doctors for Life.

Papers were filed in court in November last year.

“As advised by counsel, Jasa alleged that Icasa erred in law in failing to find that the constitutional rights of children were laws of general application, which should have trumped the rights to freedom of expression,” Jasa said.

“Furthermore, Jasa alleges that Icasa ignored their obligation… to consider the moral and spiritual implications of TV channels… .”

In April last year, the Independent Communications Authority of SA granted a licence to On Digital Media (operating as Top TV) to air three pornography channels.

The notice authorised On Digital Media to broadcast the three adult content channels Playboy TV, Desire TV, and Private Spice.

Top TV said the pornographic channels would be a separate package for subscribers, which required a separate monthly subscription, age verification, and other security features, such as a secure pin code.

The company said the decision by Icasa to grant it a licence to air three pornography channels was “a victory for democracy and freedom of speech”.

It said security measures would be put in place to ensure that only viewers who willingly subscribed to the channels had access to the pornography channels.

At the time, the Film and Publication Board (FBP) welcomed Icasa’s decision.

The application would be heard on Monday by Judge Lee Bozalek.

More broadcasting news

We will change broadcasting in SA: Siyaya TV

Bafana Bafana in R1-billion pay-TV deal: reports

Massive SABC “ex-gratia payments”: report

Share your thoughts

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – more technology images

Join the conversation

Connect with Us

androidappletwitterfacebookgoogleplusfeednewsletter

Poll

Do you think SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng should be removed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

How to check what Uber drivers think of you

Drunk passenger

Each time you take a ride in an Uber taxi, your driver is given the opportunity to rate you once the trip is over.

Biggest radio stations in South Africa

Music Radio Headphones

The latest Rams figures reveal which local radio stations receive the most listeners.

Telkom’s 15GB Big Deal

Telkom shadow logo

Telkom has launched its Big Deal promotion for April, which includes 15GB of data, an LTE router, and a Huawei tablet.

Old Mutual sends confidential banking email without password protection

Saving keyboard money

Old Mutual said it is in the process of applying password protection to all its electronic contracts and statements.

X

Newsletter Subscription


Name
Email *
Enter the following to confirm your subscription *
Captcha image


Free MyBroadband Newsletter
Subscribe
x