SABC dumps news show after it plans to talk about Zuma and Guptas

SABC show On the Record has been canned by the broadcaster after its host Vuyo Mvoko planned to discuss state capture on live TV.

By - March 20, 2016 Share on LinkedIn
Jacob Zuma in Germany speaking

SABC show On the Record has been canned by the broadcaster after its host Vuyo Mvoko planned to discuss state capture on live TV. This is according to a report by the City Press.

The report stated that the show was cancelled following “disagreements” between Mvoko and SABC bosses – who were concerned about the content of last week’s planned broadcast.

SABC sources said Mvoko wanted to discuss state capture on the platform, which would have scrutinised the Gupta’s involvement in South Africa and their relationship with president Jacob Zuma.

Mvoko had also planned to interview Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas on the show, following his statement that the Gupta family offered him the role of Finance Minister.

“This is how it is for us at the SABC. We live by censorship,” an unnamed SABC editor was quoted as saying.

An SABC journalist told the City Press that the state broadcaster was protecting government and political leaders, forcing them to “throw stories in the trash” that portrayed the ANC and President Zuma in a bad light.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago told the City Press its broadcasting schedule “has nothing to do with [them]”, in response to questions about Mvoko’s show.

The full report is available in the City Press of 20 March 2016.

More broadcasting news

No DStv price hikes for rest of Africa

We have not threatened Netflix with sanctions: FPB

Share your thoughts

Join the conversation

Connect with Us

androidappletwitterfacebookgoogleplusfeednewsletter

Poll

Do you regularly use food delivery services?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Awesome tech deals from Makro, Game, and Dion Wired

Deals Sale

You can save lots of money this weekend with a wide range of specials from Makro, Game, and Dion Wired.

ICASA may completely scrap LTE and 4G spectrum licensing attempt

ICASA logo on glass

ICASA has said that it may cancel its invitation to apply for LTE and 4G spectrum.

Wits student poll results — we want to learn

WITS

Wits asked students and staff whether the university should open on Monday 3 October – here are the results.

Kids play porn game at Panarotti’s

Bar top arcade machine

Unbeknownst to the restaurant or supplier, an arcade cabinet at a Panarotti’s in Gauteng contained adult-themed games.

Free MyBroadband Newsletter
×