Gupta’s ANN7, The New Age will apologise to ANC

ANN7 and The New Age have agreed to publish and broadcast an apology to the ANC following their coverage of the recent national executive committee meeting.

By - March 23, 2016 Share on LinkedIn

Gupta-owned media, ANN7 and The New Age have agreed to publish and broadcast an apology to the ANC following their coverage of the recent national executive committee meeting, the party said on Wednesday.

The ANC met with representatives of ANN7 and The New Age on Tuesday night after the NEC raised concerns.

“The meeting noted that while both The New Age and ANN7 stand by their stories, both media organisations acknowledged certain errors in their reporting,” ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.

“Consequently, The New Age and ANN7 have agreed to publish and broadcast an apology on Thursday 24 March 2016.”Kodwa said the meeting agreed to take their discussion forward in a way that would “encourage a dynamic and respectful relationship”.The ANC had earlier condemned the broadcaster and the newspaper for their reports about an alleged plot by senior ANC members to topple President Jacob Zuma.

“The NEC expressed its utmost disgust at the arrogance, disrespect and reckless journalism displayed by the New Age newspaper [March 18-19], ANN7 news channel [March 16-18] and representatives of the Gupta family,” secretary general Gwede Mantashe told reporters on Sunday.

The New Age and ANN7 reported about an alleged plot involving high-level ANC members to topple President Jacob Zuma.

Mantashe also said the NEC had instructed officials and the national working committee to gather all pertinent information about the allegations that the Gupta family was influencing or offering ministerial appointments.

When contacted about the meeting with the ANC on Tuesday, The New Age managing editor Gary Naidoo said it would be “inappropriate to comment further” until the ANC NEC had published its findings.

At the time of publication on Wednesday, Naidoo had not responded to an email from News24 with a request for comment.The Guptas have said that they will co-operate with the ANC during its review of the matter.”The Gupta family welcomes the decision of the ANC to investigate the alleged capture of the state by any business entities,” they said in a statement sent by Oakbay Investments, the holding company for the family’s businesses in South Africa.

“We welcome this process which should ultimately allow the truth to be recognised and end this current trial by innuendo and slander. We will fully co-operate with the office of the secretary general during the information gathering process.”


More broadcasting news

Why Netflix wants you watching two screens at once

SABC dumps news show after it plans to talk about Zuma and Guptas

Share your thoughts

Join the conversation

Connect with Us



Would you buy a Mercedes-Benz bakkie?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Microsoft Surface Studio desktop PC – transforming how you work


Microsoft has unveiled a new desktop PC that could compete directly against the iMac.

Microsoft unveils its most powerful laptop ever: the Surface Book i7


Microsoft has unveiled an inside-out refresh of the Surface Book laptop.

Cheap Microsoft virtual reality headsets announced


Microsoft has stated that hardware partners will bring affordable virtual reality headsets to the market in 2017.

Windows 10 Creators Update announced

Windows 10 logo

Microsoft has announced the next update for Windows 10, the Creators Update.

Free MyBroadband Newsletter