R2K to protest SABC over cancelled show “Big Debate”

The Right2Know Campaign (R2K) will organise a protest at the SABC’s Johannesburg offices over the cancelling of current affairs talk show “The Big Debate”

By - October 19, 2013
SABC Please Stand By Test Pattern

The Right2Know Campaign (R2K) will organise a protest at the SABC’s Johannesburg offices over the cancelling of current affairs talk show “The Big Debate”, it said on Friday.

“In protest at the continuing censorship and lack of editorial independence at the SABC, as well as the canning of The Big Debate, we are issuing a public call to protest…,” national co-ordinator Mark Weinberg said in a statement.

He said R2K was outraged that the show was being cancelled before its second season could be aired, and called on the public to participate in its protest in Auckland Park on Thursday.

“The SABC’s canning of the Big Debate smacks of political censorship and an abuse of the public broadcaster to protect certain individuals’ political interests.”

SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago could not immediately be reached for comment.

He was quoted by the Mail & Guardian online as saying: “The Big Debate… was incorrectly commissioned by SABC2 and in so doing, the editorial oversight, which is the responsibility of the newsroom, was compromised.”

According to the report he said it was against the public broadcaster’s policies to outsource news and current affairs.

“Editorial responsibility for all news and current affairs content is vested in the newsroom.”

Weinberg said R2K questioned the timing of the decision to cancel the show.

“It would appear that the SABC wants to insource current affairs because the programme producers are too independently-minded for the broadcaster, and they have developed cold feet with a national election looming.”

The Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI) also condemned the SABC’s decision.

“Having participated in one of the sittings of the Big Debate, the FXI is displeased at the censorship of what it deems to have been a valuable programme that fostered the realisation of many aspects of the right to

freedom of expression.”

The FXI felt cancelling the show was opposed to the ideals of press freedom.

More broadcasting news

OpenView HD launched and tested

DStv installation voucher changes to stop fraud?

R550 million SABC-Multichoice deal signed by Dina Pule: report

DStv blue loading screen, call centre problems explained

Share your thoughts

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – more technology images

Join the conversation

Connect with Us

androidappletwitterfacebookgoogleplusfeednewsletter

Poll

Are 4K displays on a smartphone overkill?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

South African tech leaders to take coding challenge

WeThinkCode

Some of South Africa’s top technology executives are taking a challenge to see if they were “born to code”.

Big drop in SA electricity production

Eskom power nuclear deal

Electricity generated by South Africa dropped by 3.3% for July compared to the same period last year, Statistics South Africa said on Thursday.

Sony’s world-first 4K smartphone launch window for South Africa

Sony Z5

Sony Mobile has revealed when its expects to launch its new range of Xperia smartphones in South Africa.

More channels coming to DStv

DStv on remote

MultiChoice has revealed it will launch at least four pop-up channels in 2016.

X

Newsletter Subscription


Name
Email *
Enter the following to confirm your subscription *
Captcha image


Free MyBroadband Newsletter
Subscribe
X