Telkom and Broadband Infraco in talks

Telkom and Broadband Infraco are in talks to remove duplication among state owned enterprises, Business Day reported

By - February 17, 2016 Share on LinkedIn
Telkom logo light

Telkom and Broadband Infraco are in talks to collaborate and remove duplication among state owned enterprises, Business Day reported.

Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services Siyabonga Cwele told Business Day that “as part of a rationalisation process, Telkom and Broadband Infraco were looking at how they could co-operate on infrastructure projects”.

In September last year Broadband Infraco has appealed to government for a bailout to continue its operations.

The company told the parliamentary portfolio committee on posts and telecommunications that it requires an urgent cash injection of R243m. It also wants a further R932m in funding until 2019.

The demand for funding has hit government which holds 74% of Broadband Infraco and has already injected R1.8bn into the enterprise.

More on Telkom

Telkom close to starting R744-million Government broadband plan: report

Watch Telkom show off Boltspeed Fibre with Usain Bolt

Share your thoughts

Join the conversation

Connect with Us

androidappletwitterfacebookgoogleplusfeednewsletter

Poll

Do you use Please Call Me messages?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

The future of electronics

electronic component manufacture

For the past four decades, the electronics industry has been driven by what is called “Moore’s Law,” which is not a law but more an axiom or observation.

Ditch the “dead horse” SABC: SANCO to last board member

SABC please stand by

The South African National Civic Organisation says that the SABC’s last remaining board member should dismount the “dead horse” public broadcaster.

Don’t believe the 5G hype

5G Network

A new research report by UBS warns that 5G is overhyped and you should not believe comments that it will make wired networks redundant.

Parliament vindicated in SABC inquiry: committee chair

SABC logo

The chairperson of the ad-hoc committee looking into the SABC board is happy the Western Cape High Court dismissed the last remaining board member’s bid to halt the inquiry’s work.

Free MyBroadband Newsletter
×