Vodacom announced the launch of all-in-one Smart Plans that include the smartphone, data, talk time and SMS on Saturday (7 July 2012). However, the press release issued by Vodacom didn’t mention which devices would be available on the packages, or if the deals are available without a phone.
New Vodacom deal booklets shed some light on the latest “Smart Plans” and also indicate that the contracts are available without a bundled device at a reduced price.
At the prices given previously, Vodacom’s deal book highlights the following devices:
- R135/month Smart Light: Samsung Galaxy Ace (S5830)
- R390/month Smart Standard: HTC One V
- R850/month Smart Advanced: Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S
The Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung Galaxy S2, and Sony Xperia S are also advertised on Smart Plans, but at a more expensive monthly price. All three devices are available on Smart Light for R299/month, Smart Standard for R499/month, and Smart Advanced for R899/month.
All contracts are 24-months and the small print mentions that additional handset options may be inquired about in-store. No further information on the R1,700/month Smart Super package is provided.
The table below shows the new information Vodacom has revealed for its Smart Plans. Minutes shown in the monthly allocation column are totals of all promotional minutes included, with a breakdown provided in the last column.
|Vodacom Smart Plans||Smart Light||Smart Standard||Smart Advanced|
|With device||Samsung Galaxy Ace
|HTC One V
|SE Xperia Arc S
|With Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung Galaxy S2, or Sony Xperia S||R299||R499||R899|
|Vodacom-only promo minutes||20||60||180|
|“More weekend” Vodacom-only minutes||0||60||180|
Vodacom pointed out the following caveats on Saturday that are also in the fine print:
- The Smart Light plan is billed per minute.
- Smart Plan minutes carry over to the end of the following month.
- Unused promotional free anytime minutes to other Vodacom customers will expire at the end of the month.
- More weekend minutes to other Vodacom customers are applicable from Saturday (00:00) to Sunday (23:59)
- The once-off SIM and connection fee of R202 applies to these deals
Out-of-bundle pricing, according to Vodacom, is as follows:
|Smart Plans||Out-of-bundle rates for voice calls to:||Out-of-bundle rates for Data and SMS|
|Vodacom Numbers||Fixed Destinations||Other Mobile||SMS||Data|
|Peak||Off peak||Peak||Off Peak||Peak||Off Peak||Peak||Off peak||Per MB|