8ta announced on 25 October 2012 a new contract offering that will allow subscribers unlimited voice calls to any network in South Africa.
These contracts will be available for a monthly price of between R1,199 and R1,499, over 24-months, on either SIM-only and handset-inclusive deals.
Maharaj said that there is no fair usage policy on this deal, but that there are restrictions as to who may use the product and which calls are flat-rated.
Calls may be made to any network in South Africa whether they be mobile or fixed. All existing SMS and ad-hoc bolt-on bundles may be purchased with the exception of promotional deals.
However, the deals are only available through Telkom channels: 8ta, Telkom Direct, Telkom Business, and are not for resellers or least-cost routing, Maharaj said.
Telkom’s consumer mobile arm also won’t allow international bypass. Numbers such as those used by VoIP providers are excluded as well.
Maharaj said that they are not excluded for any malicious reason, but opted to work with the larger operators with well-documented interconnect regimes.
“These are terms we use to describe fraud in the telecommunications industry,” Maharaj said.
He added that if any fraud is suspected, they will first suspend the SIM and then do a full investigation.
To make this work, 8ta had to ensure that its billing system can detect fraud, Maharaj said.
He explained that they believe they have leap-frogged their competitors by implementing a real-time billing system from the beginning. This lets them detect fraud in real-time.
This promotion will be available from 1 November 2012 at 8ta Flagship stores, Telkom Direct stores and Telkom Business for a limited period only.
8ta unlimited calls Terms and conditions:
- The Unlimited Voice All-Net offering is based on a SIM only plan (No device included) and is also available on handset deals.
- All existing once off/recurring internet data bundles are available for purchase on the Unlimited Voice All-Net plan excluding promotional bundles i.e.: 60+60 and 2+1.
- All International and premium rated calls shall be excluded from the unlimited calling benefit.
- All existing once off/recurring SMS bundles are available for purchase on the Unlimited Voice All-Net plan.
- Acceptable usage policy: 8ta shall proactively monitor the traffic on the Unlimited Voice All-Net SIM for the following deviations:
a) The SIM shall not be used for purposes of least cost routing, international bypass or payphone.
b) The SIM shall only be used on the device provided as part of the deal on a 24 month contract or IMEI supplied at a point of purchase in case of BYO/SIM only offer.
8ta will regard the above as fraudulent activity and if fraudulent usage is suspected, 8ta will immediately suspend the service, pending an investigation.