Rumours surrounding Apple’s next entry in their iPhone range have been heating up for the last few months, particularly regarding a large 4-inch screen, NFC features, and a Q4 2012 release.
The official name is not known yet, but many sources speculate that Apple won’t deviate from the norm and that the device will be called the “iPhone 5”.
Here are some of the prominent rumours regarding the Apple iPhone 5.
- The display itself is said to be an “edge-to-edge” display of 4-inches; a bump up from the iPhone 4S’s 3.5-inch screen.
- The screen will be thinner than the iPhone 4S’s 9.3mm screen (Wall Street Journal).
- NFC (Near Field Communication) will make an appearance, following Android’s adoption of the technology (New York Times).
- Rumoured to support LTE networks (Engadget).
- A much-improved 8-megapixel rear camera with a greater aperture (AppleInsider).
- Dual-LED flash on rear camera. Still no front camera flash (DigiTimes).
- Support for iOS 5 (Bloomberg).
- Rumoured voice-control system known as “The Assistant” (Tuaw).
- 8GB and 32GB editions, with a possible 64GB (Cnet).
- Smaller 19-pin dock connector to make space for more internal components (TechCrunch).
- A5 Dual-core chip (Forbes).
- 1GB of RAM (9to5Mac).
- 10mm taller and 2mm thinner than iPhone 4/4S (Apple.pro).
- White and black models (Cnet).
- Metal back casing (Cnet).
- Due to component manufacturer issues, an October release date is likely (Cnet).