An update to iOS 6 will roll out for free to the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 3, iPad 2 and fourth generation iPod touch.
According to Apple, the update to its mobile operating system will include over 200 new features, including:
- A new Maps app with Apple-designed cartography, turn-by-turn navigation and Flyover view;
- New Siri features, including support for more languages, access to sports scores, restaurant recommendations and movie listings;
- Facebook integration for Contacts and Calendar, with the ability to post directly from Notification Center, Siri and Facebook-enabled apps like Photos, Safari and Maps;
- Shared Photo Streams via iCloud; and
- Passbook, an app that keeps all your passes in one place.
Another new feature announced today is a redesigned version of iTunes.
Apple said that the new design will run across all stores: books, music, and video.
This includes a new design for every App entry on iOS, with Facebook likes integrated in every entry.
Apple said that it will now be possible to preview songs while browsing, playing samples while looking around the store.