Being 6.9mm thick, Sony said that, at the time of the announcement, the Xperia Tablet Z is the slimmest tablet in its class.
The IP55 and IP57 rating of the Sony Xperia Tablet Z also means it has the highest levels of water resistance ever delivered in a tablet, making it immune to accidental spills and splashes, Sony said.
It will be available in black or white, and in LTE and Wi-Fi versions.
Sony added that the Xperia Tablet Z will launch on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), but is upgradable to 4.2 after launch “for the latest Android user experience.”
The key features for Xperia Tablet Z highlighted by Sony are as follows:
- 10.1” HD 1920x1200p WUXGA Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2;
- S-Force Front Surround 3D;
- 6.9 mm thick, and weighing 495g;
- Dust and water resistant (IP55 & IP57) with a durable glass front display;
- 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor;
- 2GB RAM;
- Near Field Communication (NFC);
- 8 MP rear camera featuring “Exmor R for mobile” and 2MP HD front camera;
- Battery STAMINA mode further improves the standby time.