Copper theft on the rise again

Copper theft increased again in February, the SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Sacci) said on Wednesday

By - March 28, 2012 Share on LinkedIn
Copper cable

Copper theft increased again in February, the SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Sacci) said on Wednesday.

Sacci’s Copper Theft Barometer was R22.8 million in February — up four percent from January’s R21.9 million, Sacci said in a statement.

It was R20.9 million in December.

In 2011, the barometer averaged R17.8 million.

The barometer — started in December 2010 — is an indicator of the estimated cost of replacing copper cable stolen from major users Transnet, Telkom, and Eskom.

The chamber expected copper theft levels to be higher this year than in 2011 due to increased international demand for copper.

“According to Xstrata Copper (Australia) global demand for copper will rise by 3.1 percent in 2012, boosted by China’s continued investment in housing and infrastructure that will drive up demand.

“This is significant since China’s demand constitutes 40 percent of global demand,” Sacci said.

However, the current trend of stronger law enforcement could cut out a vital conduit for organised copper-theft syndicates, Sacci said.

“Last year, there were 72,533 reported incidents of copper cable theft and 10,736 arrests were made.

“Sentences passed on guilty offenders have recently become harsher.”

Another positive measure was the implementation of the Second-Hand Goods Act, dealing with accreditation of second-hand goods dealers’ associations.

“These provisions regulate suspicious transactions as well as the possession, acquisition, and disposal of metal cable with a burnt cover such as copper.”

The Act would be implemented in full once outstanding regulations were promulgated, which was expected to be by the end of April.

Share your thoughts

Join the conversation

Connect with Us



Would you buy a new high-end Motorola smartphone?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Websites in South Africa affected by massive DDoS attack in USA


A large DDoS attack in the US against a company which runs managed DNS services is causing multiple major websites to go offline – including those with a presence in South Africa.

Independent Media quits South Africa’s press ombudsman


The Press Council on Friday criticised Independent Media’s decision to resign from the body and establish its own ombudsman.

Zuma accepts third SABC board member’s resignation

SABC logo

President Jacob Zuma has accepted the resignation of SABC board member Leah Thabisile Khumalo.

Twitter is down

Twitter on phone

Twitter is down for many South African users, following reports of a massive DDoS attack in the United States.

Free MyBroadband Newsletter