E-toll postponement discussed ahead of ruling

Judge sets date for ruling on e-Toll interdict while the ANC and Cosatu agree to postpone tolling

By - April 26, 2012 Share on LinkedIn
E-toll gantry

*Update: A previous version of this article carried the headline “E-tolls delayed ahead of ruling”, but subsequent articles from Sapa, as well as the press statement posted on the ANC website, contradicted this.

The ANC and Cosatu will ask the government to delay the e-tolling system by a month in Gauteng, they said in a joint statement on Thursday.

The Congress of SA Trade Unions and African National Congress said they reached an agreement to this effect in a meeting earlier in the day.

“The leadership has collectively agreed to postpone the implementation of the e-toll collection system by a month,” the statement said.

“This will give the task team more time to explore alternative funding mechanisms.”

News of the agreement came shortly after the High Court in Pretoria adjourned a ruling on an application to stop e-tolling to Saturday.

“I plan to give judgment at 11am on Saturday,” Judge Bill Prinsloo said on Friday.

“The matter stands until then.”

A civil society coalition, the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance, had launched a court action to prevent the SA National Roads Agency Ltd from introducing tolling as planned.

Cosatu said it had postponed its general strike against e-tolling. The delay in the strike was to give the union federation time to assess the success of resistance to e-tolling, “and any future legal action that Cosatu or others may take”.

The strike was initially planned for Monday, when e-tolling on Gauteng’s freeways was scheduled to begin.

The previous version of this article follows below:

A ruling on whether the e-tolling of Gauteng’s highways will go-ahead next week will be handed down in the High Court in Pretoria on Saturday.

“I plan to give judgment at 11am on Saturday,” Judge Bill Prinsloo said on Thursday.

“The matter stands until then.”

Meanwhile, the Gauteng e-tolling system has been put on hold for a month, the ANC said.

It said it reached an agreement to this effect with the Congress of SA Trade Unions in a meeting earlier in the day.

“The leadership has collectively agreed to postpone the implementation of the e-toll collection system by a month,” the ruling African National Ciongress said in a statement.

“This will give the task team more time to explore alternative funding mechanisms.”

Related articles

E-toll delay risks SANRAL default

E-tolling is completely rational says Sanral

E-tolling: unreasonable, only viable option

E-toll interdict application urgent says judge

Share your thoughts

Join the conversation

Connect with Us

androidappletwitterfacebookgoogleplusfeednewsletter

Poll

Which mobile operator do you think offers the best value-for-money data products?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Public Protector to take legal action against SABC

Hlaudi Motsoeneng

Public Protector Thuli Madonsela says her office will be taking legal action against the SABC board following the appointment of Hlaudi Motsoeneng to a senior executive position.

MTN busy fixing billing problems

MTN logo 3D

MTN has assured that it is busy fixing a billing issue that has left some subscribers without cellular services.

LTE prices: Cell C vs Telkom

Telkom Cell C

Cell C has launched five new promotional contract LTE packages, competing directly against Telkom’s fixed LTE products.

Massive MTN billing problems

MTN logo yellow

MTN subscribers are up in arms after having their services suspended by the network.

Free MyBroadband Newsletter
×