Further clarity on e-tolling in Gauteng is expected on Friday when the government makes an announcement on the system.
On Wednesday the Inter-Ministerial Committee on the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project briefed Cabinet on the system. Cabinet then approved the gazetting of terms and conditions, including updated tariffs, that would apply to all users of Gauteng’s toll road network.
There would be a 30-day period for public comment. The government would then incorporate the comments and publish its final position after 14 days.
On Thursday, opposition parties said they were still opposed to the implementation of e-tolling.
The Freedom Front Plus said the government’s consultation process was merely a smoke screen to gather support for the system.
The Democratic Alliance said the public had to be aware that lower Gauteng e-toll tariffs could always be raised later.
Last month the Constitutional Court overturned an interim order which had put a hold to the Gauteng e-tolling project.
On April 28 the High Court in Pretoria granted the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance the interdict, ruling that a full review needed to be carried out before electronic tolling could be put into effect. The review was expected take place in the High Court in Pretoria on November.