Accused journalists hit back at Dina Pule

The Sunday Times journalists accused of conspiring and blackmailing communications minister Dina Pule have hit back, calling her claims a mix of conspiracy theory and fiction.

April 28, 2013
Dina Pule at DTT event

The Sunday Times journalists accused of conspiring against and blackmailing communications minister Dina Pule have hit back, calling her claims a mix of conspiracy theory and fiction.

On 22 April 2013, Pule called a press conference and told reporters that a series of articles by the The Sunday Times formed part of a highly sophisticated campaign against her.

She alleged that business people linked to the newspaper had a vested interest in trying to secure a multi-billion rand set-top-box tender and were willing to do anything to get it.

While Pule refused to mention the names of the so-called conspiritors, she openly attacked the journalists who had been covering the stories – Stephan Hofstatter, Rob rose and Mzilikazi wa Afrika.

The three journalists have co-authored an article in the paper, hitting back at the minister, saying that, instead of refuting the allegations made against her, she dedicated 90 minutes to “a desperate attempt at character assassination against the journalists who wrote the article”.

“The story she told was an equal mix of conspiracy and fiction,” the journalists said.

There was an unrequited love interest(a relative of journalist Mzilikazi wa Afrika who was, the minister’s story went, spurned by Pule); intercepted or “overheard” conversations of plots to plant spies in Pule’s office; and secret mettings set up by powerful mandarins representing shadowy business interests intent on toppling the president.

The Sunday Times journalists echoed the sentiment felt by many other editors and journalists in media after the 1.5 hour conference: the minister is out of touch with reality.

The journalists again called for minister Pule to provide proof of her claims, noting that they were in possession of signed documents, and numerous detailed reports that supported theirs.

They pointed to the well-reported paper trail outlining her “bullying” tactics at the SABC; misuse of funds from the ICT Indaba; as well as the nature of the relationship between her and “comrade” Phosane Mngqibisa – which they refer to as her “boyfriend”.

“Long after the press conference had ended, the disconcerting fact remains that the communications ministry is being run by somebody who clearly seems to treat off-the-wall conspiracies as fact,” the Sunday Times journalists wrote.

“We expect our cabinet ministers to run their portfolios effectively – not make spectacles of themselves at taxpayers’ expense.”

More on Dina Pule

Pule reveals blackmail plot

Dina Pule versus Sunday Times

Should Dina Pule resign?

Pitiful attempt at spin by Dina Pule: Marian Shinn

How Dina Pule boyfriend’s cronies got jobs: report

Phosane Mngqibisa is not my boyfriend: Dina Pule

Why should I resign?: Dina Pule

Tags: Dina Pule, Headline, Sunday Times

Free Email Newsletter:
Subscribe

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – technology images can be found here

Join the conversation

Connect with MyBB

twitterfacebookandroidappleblackberrynewsletterfeed

Poll

Do you think Thuthukile Zuma got the job of chief of staff because her father is the president?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Samsung unveils new smartwatch

Samsung logo

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Thursday unveiled what it said was the first smartwatch capable of making and receiving calls without a mobile phone nearby

Apple loses court bid to block Samsung smartphones

A man looks at his Apple iPad in front an Apple logo outside an Apple store in downtown Shanghai

A federal judge has rejected Apple’s attempt to block the sale of several older Samsung smartphones that copied features in the iPhone

Bitcoin continues to sparkle

A mock Bitcoin is displayed on a table in an illustration picture taken in Berlin

Bitcoin is catching on at U.S. online merchants including Overstock.com and Expedia, as customers use a digital currency that just a few years ago was virtually unknown

Sanral secrecy court case judgment expected

Sanral logo

The Western Cape High Court is expected to hand down judgment in Sanral’s and the Protea Parkway Consortium’s (PPC) secrecy applications on Thursday, transport MMC Brett Herron said

Free MyBroadband Newsletter:
Subscribe
X
bool(true)