News Corp may block Google

Global media mogul Rupert Murdoch has accused Google of stealing from his News Corp. empire, and warned he may block the search engine from accessing its content.

November 10, 2009
News Corp may block Google

“People who simply just pick up everything and run with it, steal our stories — we say they steal our stories, they just take them without payment,” Murdoch told Sky News in a weekend interview here.

“That’s Google, that’s Microsoft, that’s Ask.com, a whole lot of people … they shouldn’t have had it free all the time, and I think we’ve been asleep.” Speaking specifically about Google, the chairman and chief executive of News Corp. said he was considering banning the search engine from listing his company’s content “when we start charging”.

News Corp, which owns an enormous number of newspapers around the world including The Australian, the New York Post and The Times of London, is planning to soon charge all its online readers.

The user-pays model is already in place at News Corp’s Wall Street Journal, where readers can only access full content as a paying subscriber.

“It costs us a lot of money to put together good newspapers and good content,” Murdoch said as he defended the planned move.

Nevertheless, Murdoch said last week that his goal of erecting pay walls around his vast newspaper empire by June could be delayed.

“It’s a work in progress and there’s a huge amount of work going on not just with our sites but with other people,” Murdoch told reporters in the United States.

Asked what was causing the delay, he said: “Everything.” “We are working all very, very hard at this but I wouldn’t promise that we’re going to meet that date,” he said, in reference to his initial June deadline.

In his interview with Sky News, Murdoch also flagged a legal challenge to the “fair use” doctrine, which search engines use as justification for the reproduction of news stories.

However he indicated this challenge would not happen soon, saying: “we’ll take that slowly”.

Google & online news – discussion

Anonymous News Tip
Free Email Newsletter:
Subscribe
X

Anonymous News Tip






Captcha image
Not readable? Change text.

sending

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – technology images can be found here

Join the conversation

Connect with MyBB

twitterfacebookandroidappleblackberrynewsletterfeed

Poll

Do you think Cell C's out of bundle data price increase will hurt the company?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Dimension Data acquires US based Nexus

Dimension Data Didata

Global ICT provider expands US operations by 40% and enhances competitive ability to support clients’ needs

Zille launches new website on infrastructure investment

Helen Zille DA

A website showing the Western Cape’s capital infrastructure investment and delivery in municipalities was launched by premier Helen Zille

FNB disciplinary processes after offensive tweet

FNB Rbjacobs

Disciplinary processes were under way following an offensive tweet sent from an FNB account

Vodacom fibre-to-the-home on its way

Vodacom Fibre

Vodacom says it is actively rolling out fibre in business parks, while the group is also preparing to do the same in gated communities.

bool(true)