News Corp may block Google

Global media mogul Rupert Murdoch has accused Google of stealing from his News Corp. empire, and warned he may block the search engine from accessing its content.

By - November 10, 2009 Share on LinkedIn
News Corp may block Google

“People who simply just pick up everything and run with it, steal our stories — we say they steal our stories, they just take them without payment,” Murdoch told Sky News in a weekend interview here.

“That’s Google, that’s Microsoft, that’s Ask.com, a whole lot of people … they shouldn’t have had it free all the time, and I think we’ve been asleep.” Speaking specifically about Google, the chairman and chief executive of News Corp. said he was considering banning the search engine from listing his company’s content “when we start charging”.

News Corp, which owns an enormous number of newspapers around the world including The Australian, the New York Post and The Times of London, is planning to soon charge all its online readers.

The user-pays model is already in place at News Corp’s Wall Street Journal, where readers can only access full content as a paying subscriber.

“It costs us a lot of money to put together good newspapers and good content,” Murdoch said as he defended the planned move.

Nevertheless, Murdoch said last week that his goal of erecting pay walls around his vast newspaper empire by June could be delayed.

“It’s a work in progress and there’s a huge amount of work going on not just with our sites but with other people,” Murdoch told reporters in the United States.

Asked what was causing the delay, he said: “Everything.” “We are working all very, very hard at this but I wouldn’t promise that we’re going to meet that date,” he said, in reference to his initial June deadline.

In his interview with Sky News, Murdoch also flagged a legal challenge to the “fair use” doctrine, which search engines use as justification for the reproduction of news stories.

However he indicated this challenge would not happen soon, saying: “we’ll take that slowly”.

Google & online news – discussion

Join the conversation

Connect with Us

androidappletwitterfacebookgoogleplusfeednewsletter

Poll

Do you think Vodacom, MTN, and Cell C will cut their mobile data prices?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

The Western Cape wants to introduce car starting breathalysers

car breathalyser

The Alcohol Harms Reduction Green Paper from the Western Cape Government suggests introducing alcohol-detecting ignition interlocks.

Amazon Prime Video with Jeremy Clarkson’s new car show to launch in South Africa

The Grand Tour Clarkson Hammond May

Amazon will be bringing its Prime Video service to South Africa along with The Grand Tour.

Advertisers should boycott SABC: Right2Know

SABC please stand by

The Right2Know Campaign has called for advertisers to boycott the SABC.

Top Gear will be back in 2017 with Matt LeBlanc

Matt LeBlanc and The Stig

Matt LeBlanc will be returning to host Top Gear in 2017.

Free MyBroadband Newsletter
×