Copper theft on the decline

The Copper Theft Barometer decreased for the first time last month since February, the SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry has said

By - July 30, 2014 Share on LinkedIn
Copper wires

The Copper Theft Barometer decreased for the first time last month since February, the SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Sacci) has said.

Copper theft decreased to R12.2 million in June compared to R15.4m in May.

This equated to 166 metric tons of stolen copper in June, from 214 metric tons in May.

“It is too early as yet to determine whether the decline is a temporary dip in the recent upward trend, or possibly a positive indication of a downward trend reset,” it said in a statement.

The barometer had previously shown three consecutive months of theft increases.

At the time Sacci called for a specialised copper theft unit.

“The outlook for copper theft levels for 2014 remains concerning despite the decrease in June,” Sacci stated.

“As noted previously, a dedicated national copper theft police unit can play an important role in prosecuting larger criminal syndicates.”

More tech news

KykNET fined R30,000 for Tourette’s skit

We will force change: DoC

Sentech faces strike action

Share your thoughts

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – more technology images

Join the conversation

Connect with Us

androidappletwitterfacebookgoogleplusfeednewsletter

Poll

Which mobile messaging service do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

How the SA Post Office makes its money

South African Post Office SAPO

ICASA’s state of the ICT sector in South Africa report reveals how the South African Post Office makes R5.3 billion per year.

10 worst TV series ever made

Dads

We take a look at the worst TV series ever made, according to the critics.

Free web security certificate Let’s Encrypt

HTTPS URL

The Let’s Encrypt certificate authority has issued its two millionth certificate – less than two months after the millionth certificate.

Laptop, two cellphones, and flash drives confiscated in tender scam case

Scam alert

Two men are expected to appear at the Pietermaritzburg Regional Court on charges of fraud and racketeering.

X

Newsletter Subscription


Name
Email *
Enter the following to confirm your subscription *
Captcha image


Free MyBroadband Newsletter
Subscribe
x