Mail & Guardian website taken down after hacker attack

The M&G Online website is now offline in the wake of an attack by Russian hackers

January 26, 2011
Mail & Guardian website taken down after hacker attack

The Mail & Guardian Online, one of South Africa’s oldest news website, has been taken offline.

Mail & Guardian editor Nic Dawes said on Twitter that the website is ‘under sustained attack by hackers’ and that it was taken offline to protect the security of their users. According to Dawes the attacks originate in Russia.

“Our tech team is working flat out to secure the M&G site and take it live again,” said Dawes.

Alistair Fairweather, Digital Platforms Manager for the Mail & Guardian Online, explains that they have fought off the hackers for months, but that they eventually gained root access to the MG Online servers and started to wreck havoc today.

According to Fairweather the attacks on MG Online point to a well resourced and sophisticated group of hackers which aimed to use the site as a phishing platform. The attacks included page redirects and malware planted within the site.

Because of the security risks which these attacks pose to website visitors the decision was made to take down the MG Online site until they can guarantee that the site is safe to visit again.

The MG Online’s technical team are currently rebuilding their servers and going through their code with fine-toothed comb to ensure all malware and other problems are removed.

There is currently no set time at which the MG Online will be live again, but Fairweather said that they are working as fast as possible to get the site up and running.

Mail & Guardian website taken down after hacker attack << Comment and views

Anonymous News Tip
Free Email Newsletter:
Subscribe
X

Anonymous News Tip






Captcha image
Not readable? Change text.

sending

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – technology images can be found here

Join the conversation

Connect with MyBB

twitterfacebookandroidappleblackberrynewsletterfeed

Poll

Are you using public WiFi hotspots to connect to the Internet in places like airports, restaurants or shopping malls?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Top tech deals this Easter

Sale

Many local retailers are offering technology products at reduced prices over the Easter period

First online pirate in SA pleads guilty, sentenced

Music pirate piracy

Majedien Norton, the Cape Flats man who was accused of uploading SA film Four Corners via Pirate Bay, has pleaded guilty to the charge

DStv Oscar Pistorius Trial Channel to take a break

Oscar Pistorius is seen during his murder trial at the North Gauteng High Court on Tuesday, 11 March 2014.Pistorius is accused of the murder of model and law graduate Reeva Steenkamp on February 14 last year. She was shot in the arm, hip and head. He is also charged with illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, and two counts of discharging a firearm in public. Picture: Kevin Sutherland/Times Media Group/Pool

The Oscar Pistorius Trial Channel will take a break for two weeks

MTN strikes at the heart of Cell C

Cell C stab

MTN’s recent move to cut prepaid call rates to 79c per minute strikes at the heart of Cell C’s ability to improve its financial situation

bool(true)