Nokia to launch low-cost Android phone

Nokia will unveil a low-cost smartphone running a version of Google’s Android operating system

February 11, 2014
Nokia Connecting People logo

Nokia will unveil a low-cost smartphone running a version of Google Inc’s Android operating system, despite the company’s close partnership with Microsoft Corp and its competing Windows system, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

The handset division of the Finnish company, which is in the final stages of being acquired by Microsoft, will show off the new phone at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona later this month, the report said on Monday, citing unidentified sources who were familiar with the matter.

Nokia and Microsoft declined to comment.

The new Android phone will be aimed at emerging markets and will not feature some of Google’s higher-end, custom Android features.

Microsoft and its main handset partner Nokia have struggled to make an impression in the smartphone market dominated by Samsung’s Android devices and Apple Inc’s iPhone.

According to technology research firm, Strategy Analytics, 79 percent of smartphones shipped worldwide last year ran on Android, 15 percent were iPhones running Apple’s iOS and only 4 percent ran Windows Phone software.

(Reporting by Bill Rigby in Seattle; Additional reporting by Ritsuko Ando in Helsinki; Editing by Bernadette Baum)

More smartphone news

Struggling HTC turns to cheaper smartphones

FNB smartphone deals get Sony Xperia devices

Samsung Galaxy S5 launch expected in February

Tags: Active, Android, Nokia

Free Email Newsletter:
Subscribe

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – technology images can be found here

Join the conversation

Connect with MyBB

twitterfacebookandroidappleblackberrynewsletterfeed

Poll

Which tech brand do you like the most?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

New fibre-to-the-home neighbourhood project in SA

Parkview Residents Association

Another Johannesburg suburb has taken its broadband future into its own hands

Big Gauteng fibre plans

Gauteng Online

Gauteng Finance MEC Barbara Creecy says that continued investment will result in a fibre network of 1,600 km across the province

Communications minister opposes Motsoeneng court challenge

Faith Muthambi

Communications Minister Faith Muthambi has filed papers opposing the Democratic Alliance’s court challenge to the appointment of SABC chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng

Google under fire over “right to be forgotten”

Google logo

Google’s handling of “right to be forgotten” requests from European citizens has come under fire

Free MyBroadband Newsletter:
Subscribe
X
bool(true)