Network operators ordered to amend contracts

South Africa’s four primary cellular network operators and two fixed-line providers will have to implement new customer contracts to be in line with the Consumer Protection Act.

July 18, 2011
Man Signing Contract

South Africa’s four primary cellular network operators and two fixed-line providers will have new customer contracts that are compliant with the Consumer Protection Act in place within the next three months, according to Business Report on Monday.

This came as national consumer commissioner Mamodupi Mohlala prepared to sign consent order agreements this week with each of the companies. These agreements were legally binding and a fine of R1 million or 10 percent of annual turnover could be imposed if they were breached.

Mohlala said that over the past two weeks the commission had reviewed all contracts provided by the individual companies and none of the contracts were compliant with the act. This, despite the fact that it had been in the pipeline for the past five years and its implementation was postponed from September last year to April this year.

She said that in most cases about 75 percent of the cellphone contract terms and conditions would have to change.

Companies would have to change their billing systems, marketing approach and their staff would have to be educated and more skilled, which would require more spending on human resources, she said.

“There is nothing untoward… we are aligning South Africa with international best practice.”

Mohlala said Cell C, Telkom and 8.ta would have their contracts amended by the end of September, Neotel by next month and MTN and Vodacom both expected to have amended their contracts by the end of October.

Tags: 8ta, Cell C, consumer protection act, cpa, Headline, Mamodupi Mohlala, MTN, Neotel, Telkom, Vodacom

Free Email Newsletter:
Subscribe

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – technology images can be found here

Join the conversation

Connect with MyBB

twitterfacebookandroidappleblackberrynewsletterfeed

Poll

Will you use an LTE service as a primary broadband connection if data costs are low enough?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Biggest salaries in SA telecoms

Rich man

The top earning telecommunications CEO in South Africa received a total pay package of R48 million

Shuttleworth R250 million to fight SA government in concourt

Mark Shuttleworth

South African IT billionaire Mark Shuttleworth says he intends to put a sum of R250 million into a trust to address constitutional rights of African citizens

Zuma decision caused missed deadline: Broadband Infraco

Broadband Infraco

The state-owned fibre operator has explained why it missed its reporting deadline

Sights and sounds of the 2014 MyBroadband conference

MyBroadband conference stage

The 2014 MyBroadband conference took place at Gallagher Estate in Midrand recently – this is what attendees experienced

Free MyBroadband Newsletter:
Subscribe
X
bool(true)