Government will not sell Telkom stake: Minister

Communications Minister not keen on selling government’s stake in Telkom, reports Shadow Minister

August 17, 2012
Telkom

The Minister of Communications, Dina Pule, will not consider selling the government’s stake in Telkom to a South African-led consortium.

This is according to Marian Shinn, Shadow Minister of Communications, who said she asked Pule the question in parliament “given government’s appalling track record in the ICT sector, and the bad faith it had demonstrated with potential investors KT Corporation.”

Pule’s answer was in stark contrast to suggestions made in the final National Development Plan (NDP) that the National Planning Commission (NPC), chaired by Trevor Manuel, recently published.

In an article on the DA website, Shinn wrote that the NDP gives hope for a competitive and dynamic ICT marketplace.

“The final National Development Plan (NDP) incorporates more emphatic language about introducing a market-friendly environment and loosening government control in the communications sector,” Shinn said. “This is to be welcomed.

Shinn said that the draft NDP released in November 2011 was criticised by the ICT sector, and in parliamentary discussions with the NCP team earlier this year, for not going far enough to recognise the pivotal role of communications in supporting economic growth.

Marian Shinn

Marian Shinn, DA Shadow Minister of Communications

The NDP vision for the ICT sector also takes a different tack to the ANC policy document on the communications sector, Shinn wrote.

She said that the ANC document sees the role of government in the sector as primarily ensuring that ICT supports its service delivery mandate rather than freeing up the communications environment to facilitate competition in support of cost-competitive economic growth and encourage innovation of products and services.

“If Cabinet adopts the NDP’s recommendation, without trying to manipulate the outcomes to protect its vested interests,” Shinn said, “South Africa may, for the first time, have a communications environment that supports economic growth.”

Industry advises the DoC

A tale of talkshops

Hard-won network operator rights under threat

Telkom: where did it all go wrong?

SA fails test of network society

Tags: Department of Communications, Dina Pule, DoC, Headline, Marian Shinn, National Development Plan, National Planning Commission, NCP, NDP, Telkom, Trevor Manuel

Free Email Newsletter:
Subscribe

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – technology images can be found here

Join the conversation

Connect with MyBB

twitterfacebookandroidappleblackberrynewsletterfeed

Poll

Will you use an LTE service as a primary broadband connection if data costs are low enough?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Biggest salaries in SA telecoms

Rich man

The top earning telecommunications CEO in South Africa received a total pay package of R48 million

Shuttleworth R250 million to fight SA government in concourt

Mark Shuttleworth

South African IT billionaire Mark Shuttleworth says he intends to put a sum of R250 million into a trust to address constitutional rights of African citizens

Zuma decision caused missed deadline: Broadband Infraco

Broadband Infraco

The state-owned fibre operator has explained why it missed its reporting deadline

Sights and sounds of the 2014 MyBroadband conference

MyBroadband conference stage

The 2014 MyBroadband conference took place at Gallagher Estate in Midrand recently – this is what attendees experienced

Free MyBroadband Newsletter:
Subscribe
X
bool(true)