Seacom has issued an update on their reparation progress on 27 March 2013:
SEACOM has completed reprioritization and reallocation of capacity for our customers at approximately 11:00 GMT. 75% of our customers by number are now once again restored.
The SEACOM team continues to work hard to source further capacity to re-establish full restoration.
We will update further as information becomes available.
Seacom said on the morning of 27 March 2013 that it restored all services, which includes restoring capacity on both SMW4 and IMEWE cable systems.
However, on Wednesday morning (27 March 2013) Seacom said that it has “seen loss of signal on the SMW4 capacity and customers restored on that route are likely to be experiencing an outage”.
Seacom said that it is currently in the process of prioritizing and reallocating already available capacity for customers and sourcing further capacity to re-establish full restoration.
Seacom experienced that a physical cable cut in the Mediterranean Sea on Friday 22 March caused an outage on the system. The outage is expected to last until early April.
Seacom said previously that the subsea cable cut in the Mediterranean is being investigated to understand the root cause of the outage.
“Ships are being sent to the area to bring up the cable and implement repairs,” Seacom said in a statement.