Cable theft delays SEACOM [April Fools Joke]

SEACOM set back by as much as 6 months due to landing station cable theft [Please note that this is an April Fools joke and that the information regarding a SEACOM delay and cable theft is entirely fictional]

April 1, 2009
Cable theft delays SEACOM [April Fools Joke]

Telkom has often highlighted the negative impact of cable theft on its operations.  The fixed line operator previously said that it lost around R863 million between 1 April 2007 and 31 January 2008 due to an alarming surge in copper cable theft.

"The increase in copper cable theft is creating an environment of a rapidly deteriorating service quality and is severely affecting the delivery of sustainable ICT services to customers. In many high-theft areas, cable is repeatedly stolen, sometimes within days after replacements or repairs,” Telkom said.

The latest incident of cable theft however does not involve Telkom’s copper infrastructure, but rather SEACOM’s terrestrial fibre infrastructure.  Cable thieves removed newly laid fibre cabling at the SEACOM landing station in Mtunzini, setting the project back by as much as six months.

According to SEACOM’s operational manager Fredrik Loof the cable theft occurred on Sunday 29 March and caused significant damage to the Mtunzini landing station infrastructure.

Loof said that it is not clear whether the cable thieves mistook the fibre cables for copper cabling, but he pointed out that the damage caused by the thieves will take many weeks to repair.

Loof however reassured all parties that this event will not have any impact on deadlines associated with the SEACOM project in regions other than South Africa, and that the submarine cable will still land on South African shores at the planned dates.

For more details about the cable theft click here

Discuss SEACOM cable theft

Free Email Newsletter:
Subscribe

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – technology images can be found here

Join the conversation

Connect with MyBB

twitterfacebookandroidappleblackberrynewsletterfeed

Poll

Do you think Cell C and Telkom will survive the mobile war?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Secret Vodacom, MTN pricing agreement warning

Vodacom MTN alleged agreement

A secret agreement between Vodacom and MTN on pricing twenty years ago has been brought to the fore by Cell C CEO Jose dos Santos

HelloPeter’s new head announced

Alon Rom

Alon Rom will be appointed as the new HelloPeter CEO from 1 December 2014, replacing Peter Cheales

Why people text while driving

texting-while-driving

A new study has found that while most people agree that texting while driving is dangerous, 74% of drivers do it anyway

Eskom asks employees to consider voluntary retrenchment

Eskom light

Eskom has asked its staff to consider voluntary retrenchment packages, a spokesman confirmed on Wednesday

Free MyBroadband Newsletter:
Subscribe
X
bool(true)