Telkom to fight LLU, save Telkom Mobile: report

Telkom is gearing up to fight against local loop unbundling (LLU), while also trying to save its loss-making mobile business, Telkom Mobile

September 29, 2013
Telkom fixed line

Telkom is gearing up to fight against local loop unbundling (LLU), while also trying to save its loss-making mobile business, Telkom Mobile.

This is according to a report by the Sunday Times of the events at Telkom’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Friday (27 September).

Despite brief drama involving the re-election of former Telkom chairman Jeff Molobela, the AGM reportedly passed with little controversy.

According to the Sunday Times, Telkom’s board won over shareholders with last minute changes made to its resolutions – which were published on Thursday, a day before the meeting.

The new resolutions included, amongst others, the authority to purchase back a maximum of 10% of Telkom shares if needs be, as well as the authority to provide financial support to Telkom employees – both in order to implement an employee reward share scheme.

These changes were made to ensure “greater alignment between shareholders, the board and management”, according to Telkom chairman Jabu Mabuza.

However, Telkom still faces challenges on two fronts, according to the report.

Firstly, CEO Sipho Maseko is preparing to fight local-loop unbundling (opening up the “last mile” of the network that links customers to their nearest exchange) – which the CEO reportedly views as giving competitors a “free ride” on investments made by Telkom.

Secondly, Maseko is looking at ways to stop Telkom Mobile from sinking, accoring to the report.

Telkom Mobile made a loss of R1.7 billion in the last financial year, and currently has only 1.5 million subscribers – a tiny percentage compared to other mobile operators in South Africa.

Maseko plans to “de-risk” the company and limit the “intensity of what it costs [Telkom]” to run it. However no firm strategy to do so has been decided.

Plans would be announced in November.

Not completely drama free

Despite smooth sailing compared to last year’s AGM, where then-minister of communications, Dina Pule, ploughed into the workings of the company and made significant changes, this year’s AGM wasn’t without a bit of drama.

Former Telkom chairman, Jeff Molobela made himself unavailable for re-election to the board after fellow board members “diplomatically” asked shareholders not to re-elect him.

Further, shareholders also called out the executive remuneration which did not match the performance of the company, the report said.

Non-executive directors elected to not take an increase for the coming year, in order to contain costs.

ADSL IPC cuts “disappointing”: ISPs

New Telkom ADSL speeds and prices

Union collars Telkom over executive pay

Telkom’s forced ADSL price cuts: ISPs respond

Telkom says mobile termination rates “unjust”: report

Telkom Mobile price cuts – “Why are others not doing it?”

 

Tags: Headline, LLU, Telkom, Telkom Mobile

Anonymous News Tip
Free Email Newsletter:
Subscribe
X

Anonymous News Tip






Captcha image
Not readable? Change text.

sending

Shutterstock is the image partner of MyBroadband – technology images can be found here

Join the conversation

Connect with MyBB

twitterfacebookandroidappleblackberrynewsletterfeed

Poll

Are you using public WiFi hotspots to connect to the Internet in places like airports, restaurants or shopping malls?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More News

Top tech deals this Easter

Sale

Many local retailers are offering technology products at reduced prices over the Easter period

First online pirate in SA pleads guilty, sentenced

Music pirate piracy

Majedien Norton, the Cape Flats man who was accused of uploading SA film Four Corners via Pirate Bay, has pleaded guilty to the charge

DStv Oscar Pistorius Trial Channel to take a break

Oscar Pistorius is seen during his murder trial at the North Gauteng High Court on Tuesday, 11 March 2014.Pistorius is accused of the murder of model and law graduate Reeva Steenkamp on February 14 last year. She was shot in the arm, hip and head. He is also charged with illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, and two counts of discharging a firearm in public. Picture: Kevin Sutherland/Times Media Group/Pool

The Oscar Pistorius Trial Channel will take a break for two weeks

MTN strikes at the heart of Cell C

Cell C stab

MTN’s recent move to cut prepaid call rates to 79c per minute strikes at the heart of Cell C’s ability to improve its financial situation

bool(true)