View Full Version : On what Broadband offerings have you tested VoIP?
05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Just wondering on what broadband offerings you've tested VoIP and with what codecs did you have success?
Sentech? - I have a jitter problem with outgoing sound data?
GPRS? (I know it wont work, but have someone tested to see just how bad it would be?)
05-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Tested and working from 512 Home dsl (shaped / SAIX) to 512 Business dsl (IS / Uncapped) using Asterisk with IAX2. All so using it from IS dsl to AUS. all so making use of Asterisk IAX2 combo.
05-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Sentech had very slow upload rates. Especially the 128kb package, so I wouldnt be surprised if the outgoing voice wasnt quite good enough.
You left out Iburst too.
I have phoned to America on Iburst fine, nice quality, a bit of lag. It was lateish at night though.
Local should be fine however.
But I dont use VOIP much at all, but at least i know it works. Will all depend on your signal strength if you use a wireless service.
I think they are almost all capable of it, just make shure the connection is good enough.
iBurst and Voipbuster great to Netherlands, Australia and SA landlines for me.
Useless for local cellphone numbers.
13-08-2006, 02:19 PM
1. iburst -> iburst :good (same tower coms have high latency than 2 !!)
2. iburst -> telkom dsl : very good (low latency) - baffles me
3. Telkom Dsl -> Telkom Dsl : very good (low latency) play with voip ports for best performance
4. iburst -> sentech : poor - get a cell or landline rather
5. Gprs : not tested : refuse to support local cell rates/contracts
6. 3G : not tested : refuse to support local cell rates/contracts
7. Hsdpa : not tested : refuse to support local cell rates/contracts
Platform : asterisk on iBurst connection with 6 road warriors
Softphone : IdeFisk (iAx)
Codecs : gsm/ilbc/speex/723
13-08-2006, 02:33 PM
I tested skype with GPRS on an Imate K-jam this week, shocking!! I wouldn't expect it to be anything but shocking though.
AgileMessenger and PTT work pretty well on GPRS though.
13-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I constantly use it on ADSL 192 kbps (now 384 kbps) and it is flawless. Calling to another skype user within SA is probably better than normal land line, no delay or anything, calling international, sometimes can have slightly delay, but relatively insignificant (< 1s), quality still excellent.