View Full Version : Huawei E220, iBook, Virgin Mobile
18-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Can't connect to Virgin on my Mac
iBook running Tiger
Vodafone Huawei E200
Software - HuaweiApp
Managed to connect to Virgin on PC with initialisation string:
Can't figure out how to do this on Mac.
Another user mentioned using a script, but didn't post it and hasn't replied to my messages.
Please help! Can't afford Vodacom's tarrifs...
22-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I cannot connect to VM with my Huawei E220, i get a "error 619". After i've flushed out VMCLite and installed Huawei's Mobile Partner i am connecting to VC as well as MTN without problems (errors).
I use the APN; at+cgdcont=1,"ip","vdata", also tried at+cgdcont=1,"ip","vdata","",0,0 but still error 619 won't quit.
But in the left bottom corner of the Mobile Partner software window it shows my connection as "VodaCom (Roaming)"
Can anyone help please?
Apology micmee, i did'nt noticed that this thread was for the Mac OS
22-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Are you using Mac OS 2.07 dashboard or higher?
maybe you have an old Virgin sim card. I believe there was a compatibility problem with early sims. Needs to be 128k.
22-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I believe there was a compatibility problem with early sims. Needs to be 128k.
I think that was only with the Huawei E620s.
01-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a 64K Virgin SIM (which I bought in Oct, though it was older stock, I think), but it worked fine on Windows.
I tried all the software I could find. Used the one in the box, used the one form the vodacom site (which is newer), right now, using a thing called 'HuaweiApp' which isn't branded, but Virgin SIM doesn't seem to work. Surfed with Virgin SIM with launch2net, but that costs 75 euro!
And an irritating thing is that the Vodacom site on Mac doesn't let me check my bundle info!!! There's just no link for it...
01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
try get a 128k sim? my 64k sim didnt work on my E620 maybe that could be the reason
02-11-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure it's worth getting a 128k SIM.
I say this because this very SIM has already worked on my Mac using launch2net demo and it worked on a PC as well :confused:. I wouldn't want to waste another R55 and an hour and a half only to be disappointed again!
06-11-2007, 12:15 PM
The initialisation command (at+cgdcont...) is not 100% necessary that is more for the modem you are using than the actual connection - I never entered mine and it works fine. Also in whatever program you're using to manage your connection - try finding an option to manually select network and then search for Cell C. Vodacom is not so nice to Virgin/Cell C customers using data and roaming on their network.
If the datacard program does not have an option to manually select network - try taking the SIM out put it into a normal phone and do the manual network selection from there. Then put it back in - I've seen that work a few times.
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the helpful post. I'll try that stuff out and see what happens :-)