Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter


  • SA matric on par with international standards


    The National Senior Certificate (NSC) and its curriculum are on par with international standards and are favourable when compared to other international qualifications.

    This is according to a report issued by education quality assuror Umalusi and Higher Education South Africa (Hesa).

    The report, released on Wednesday, compared the NSC certificate with the Cambridge International Examinations and the International Baccalaureate Organisation as well as the Namibian Senior Certificate.

    "Our findings are that this qualification [NSC] is pitched at the correct level. It has got the necessary requirements of a robust qualification ...the learners who pass this certificate can compete favourably with learners from other education systems," Umalusi CEO Rakometsi Mafu said at the release of the report.

    Liz Burroughs, a senior manager at Umalusi, said the main aim of the study was to establish the continuity of stands between the old and new qualifications. The NSC replaced the Senior Certificate in 2008.

    "The South African public can be reassured that the NSC is a good, solid, robust qualification," said Burroughs.

    She added that one of the recommendations of the report was to highlight the importance of good teacher training "so that we maintain our credibility in the international education landscape".

    The report will further assist in determining the minimum requirements for admission to degree, diploma and higher certificate admission status in the country.

    Based on these findings, HESA will then formulate an equitable policy that will lead to consistency in admission decisions. Hesa's criticisms do, however, hint that there is a clear need for well-qualified teachers in South Africa.

    Cobus Lotter, manager at Hesa, said the research compared the NSC to the Cambridge International Examinations because it has footprints in the country. Data indicates that it has more than 40 centres in the country and over 150 worldwide.

    Already, South Africa was the eighth most favourable university destination in the world. - BuaNews
    Comments 48 Comments
    1. rpm's Avatar
      rpm -
      The National Senior Certificate (NSC) and its curriculum are on par with international standards and are favourable when compared to other international qualifications.
    1. Chris's Avatar
      Chris -
      I'm calling BS on that one for two reasons:

      1) The organisations doing the research have a vested interest in saying that the NSC is up to international standards.

      2) South Africa has one of the lowest literacy and numeracy levels in the world.
    1. Alestorm's Avatar
      Alestorm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      2) South Africa has one of the lowest literacy and numeracy levels in the world.
      I doubt this has anything to do with our matric qualifications. Those that are illiterate wouldn't have a matric, which is a different problem altogether. You do at least have to be able to read and count for a matric pass.
    1. Chris's Avatar
      Chris -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alestorm View Post
      I doubt this has anything to do with our matric qualifications. Those that are illiterate wouldn't have a matric, which is a different problem altogether. You do at least have to be able to read and count for a matric pass.
      Perhaps I should have re-phrased point number 2. How do South Africans who have obtained a matric certificate compare to people with A-Levels, IB? Not very well. I've seen an A-level Maths paper... they were doing vectors and statistics etc. which is topic that is totally left out in the South African matric.
    1. Necuno's Avatar
      Necuno -
      Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
      i lol'ed hard when i heard this over the radio.
    1. murraybiscuit's Avatar
      murraybiscuit -
      now let's have an article which tells us that our teachers are up to international standards...
      can't have one without the other, you know.
    1. Portunus's Avatar
      Portunus -
      Do they actually think we'll believe that?
    1. scotty777's Avatar
      scotty777 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      Perhaps I should have re-phrased point number 2. How do South Africans who have obtained a matric certificate compare to people with A-Levels, IB? Not very well. I've seen an A-level Maths paper... they were doing vectors and statistics etc. which is topic that is totally left out in the South African matric.
      very very true...

      In matric, my maths was basic calculus (differentiation ei: rate of change... and that's it), a little bit of logs (the basics), and a little of trig ( hardly enough to satisfy any real world applications of trig!).

      In science, we do a little bit of 'complex' chemistry ei : redox reactions (which are a little tricky at first, but are relatively easy) and we do them on a basic scale... everything else is basically parrot learning. In physcis, we do mostly applied maths, really really really simple applied maths, where the formula's are given to you in nice, neat packages, where you don't care nor know where they magically appear from .

      I'm my uni course, there's an American guy that has covered a shyte load more physics than what we've done... and I have a friend that went to school that runs off the european education system (french), and they have covered some of the complex physics that I'm doing in 1st year engineering .

      I'm sorry, these are two examples which I can relate to...and I've gotta say, our education system isn't up to scratch... the grap between uni and school is very very vast... but alas, they will deny it, and give us this propaganda...
    1. ToAsTeD's Avatar
      ToAsTeD -
      Quote Originally Posted by murraybiscuit View Post
      now let's have an article which tells us that our teachers are up to international standards...
      can't have one without the other, you know.
      +1
    1. J25's Avatar
      J25 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      Perhaps I should have re-phrased point number 2. How do South Africans who have obtained a matric certificate compare to people with A-Levels, IB? Not very well. I've seen an A-level Maths paper... they were doing vectors and statistics etc. which is topic that is totally left out in the South African matric.
      I'm sure if you look at their syllabus, you'll see they have left out a few things we cover. The fact that we don't do vectors (do you perhaps mean linear algebra?) in school is not a big deal. Calculus is far more complex, and I'd rather they spend their time mastering that. You can learn the basics to linear algebra (the stuff they cover in GSCEs) in an afternoon.

      And it's not really fair to compare A-levels, is it? My understanding is that A-levels is a 13th year after their "matric".

      Statistics however, is useful, but you can only expect students in matric to learn the very basics.
    1. phoneJunky's Avatar
      phoneJunky -
      I also do believe our matric is on par. Remember you shouldn't compare it to A levels, but rather the O level (if I remember correctly). If you want something to compare to a level maths you have to compare it to admaths. I remember while at varsity studying engineering, the people that had a level maths or admaths had about a semester advantage on us normal school people. The same with the fact that I did computer programming on school gave me an advantage over the other people. And I know not all our schools can give this advance subjects, but that is what it is: advance subjects.
    1. eltherza's Avatar
      eltherza -
      Even if it is on par [which I doubt], international certificates are seen as better by foreign companies. And that's what really counts.
    1. UnUnOctium's Avatar
      UnUnOctium -
      Quote Originally Posted by Portunus View Post
      Do they actually think we'll believe that?
      I believe they do, since they know the actual matric standards
    1. dequadin's Avatar
      dequadin -
      Quote Originally Posted by scotty777 View Post
      I'm my uni course, there's an American guy that has covered a shyte load more physics than what we've done... and I have a friend that went to school that runs off the european education system (french), and they have covered some of the complex physics that I'm doing in 1st year engineering .
      We had some Zim guys in our engineering class (this was back in the day when they still did A levels in Zim), and those guys cruised through 1st year maths and physics. The rest of us lowly SA matric guys suffered. And this was before OBE.
    1. Aquila ka Hecate's Avatar
      Aquila ka Hecate -
      Quote Originally Posted by dequadin View Post
      We had some Zim guys in our engineering class (this was back in the day when they still did A levels in Zim), and those guys cruised through 1st year maths and physics. The rest of us lowly SA matric guys suffered. And this was before OBE.
      In my first year at Wits, reading Maths and Physics, I also found that my Zim (err..Rhodesian) M-Level allowed me to basically cruise.

      That was back in the last '70s guys. So if our Matric is now at an international level, well, it never used to be....
    1. Mila's Avatar
      Mila -
      Good to know that we have 60% failure due to stupid/lazy children.
    1. Mila's Avatar
      Mila -
      Quote Originally Posted by Aquila ka Hecate View Post
      In my first year at Wits, reading Maths and Physics, I also found that my Zim (err..Rhodesian) M-Level allowed me to basically cruise.

      That was back in the last '70s guys. So if our Matric is now at an international level, well, it never used to be....
      Oke sorry this does not make sense.

      Do you mean the people are now passing through Math's and Physics easier than 70 years ago? Or why would you say that it was never on "an international" and now it is?
    1. JungleBoy's Avatar
      JungleBoy -
      See..we can't blame the curriculum more than we can blame some of the lazy retards doing matric nowadays.
      If our curriculum was below par and the pupils' application is the same then they should be cruising through matric, but they are not...
    1. Mila's Avatar
      Mila -
      Quote Originally Posted by JungleBoy View Post
      See..we can't blame the curriculum more than we can blame some of the lazy retards doing matric nowadays.
      If our curriculum was below par and the pupils' application is the same then they should be cruising through matric, but they are not...
      +10
    1. murraybiscuit's Avatar
      murraybiscuit -
      don't all matric results get bell curved?
      it would be interesting to know what the raw pass figures are rather than the adjusted ones...