Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

• Hostage situation at Durban hospital

A large police contingent has been deployed to Westville Hospital in Durban after unconfirmed reports of a hostage situation.

A Sapa reporter on scene said police snipers had positioned themselves at points surrounding the hospital's kitchen, where a man was holding two women hostage.

Officials on the scene, who did not want to be named, said it was believed that one of the hostages was injured.

Meanwhile, SABC radio news reported that there were three hostages.

The man was believed to be a former patient who allegedly fired several shots at a doctor earlier.

The doctor fled the scene.

A witness, who is a patient at the hospital, told Sapa he was lying in bed when the commotion began.

Mark House said he heard three gunshots and moments later, a woman stormed into his ward and tried to hide behind him.

"She was apologising to me, because she chose my room, because she feared this guy was looking for her," he said.

Police officers entered the room and evacuated them from the scene.

Police spokesman Lt-Col Vincent Mdunge was not unable to confirm the reports. He said he would provide accurate information once he had it.

ER24 spokesman Derrick Banks could not immediately be reached for comment.

A media briefing was due to be held at the hospital shortly.

Source : Sapa
    Comments 9 Comments
      Jase -
      Unconfirmed but 3 security and 1 cleaner shot.
      Ady -
      I must say i like the decisive manner in which SAPS is working lately. They aren't taking any nonsense.
      Sinbad -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
      I must say i like the decisive manner in which SAPS is working lately. They aren't taking any nonsense.
      The new commisioner's influence you think? He cast himself as a man of action...
      SinghDude -
      Happy ending. Bastard shot dead.
      He-Man -
      ye we saw all the cop cars on the way to
      the Pav this morning.
      Ady -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
      The new commisioner's influence you think? He cast himself as a man of action...
      One can only hope, heard the "man of action" story too many times to get excited. Only his results will tell.
      HeftyCrab -
      Hmmm.youd think the people would learn. every time theres a hostage situation our police just shoot them. its not like in the movies where they negotiate for days on end.hulle vatikaki!

maby it was a police suicide?or whatever you call it when they want to die but dont want to do it themselves,then do something stupid so the police shoot them.
      marine1 -
      One thing you better know, in that situation if task force arrive, your life is over and rightfully so.
      FoXtroT -
      Not necessarily have you ever watched the documentry on the task force. They will negotiate for as long as possible and won't just shoot the guy unless he threatens them or the hostage. Remember the Task Force have never lost a hostage.
  • 300x250 advertisement

• 300x250 advertisement

• Recent Article Comments Widget

House

ANC official must be paid more: Chief Whip

... and eating tens of thousands of rands of KFC every month. Go to last post

House 29-07-2014 04:33 PM
    kianm

ANC official must be paid more: Chief Whip

yeses! :wtf: . More pay for sleeping and farting in parliament Go to last post

kianm 29-07-2014 04:30 PM
    Garyvdh

Unions accept metal wage offer

Correct. Go to last post

Garyvdh 29-07-2014 04:13 PM
    ToxicBunny

Slightly different setup rza, and as a labour lawyer in training you should know that.

They... Go to last post

ToxicBunny 29-07-2014 04:11 PM
    rza

Gold miners who jumped to AMCU had a problem with NUM and Solidarity entering into a wage agreement... Go to last post

rza 29-07-2014 04:09 PM