Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter


  • SA man returns from Thai jail after 18 years


    A South African man has returned to the country after being jailed in Thailand for the past 18 years, according to Sunday's Rapport.

    Johannesburg artist Shani Krebs, 52, arrived at OR Tambo International Airport on Saturday.

    On April 26, 1994 he was caught with 1.2kg of heroin at Bangkok's airport. According to Krebs, a man he had recently met gave him a bag to take back to South Africa, saying it contained foreign currency. He was sentenced to life in jail, which was later reduced to 40 years.

    He was pardoned on December 5 last year, on King Bhumibol Adulyadej's 84th birthday.


    Source : Sapa
    Comments 17 Comments
    1. Picard's Avatar
      Picard -
      Read about it on another news site.

      He says for 18 years he had no hot water to wash and just a concrete slab as a bed.
    1. marine1's Avatar
      marine1 -
      And what about the lives lost to drugs? Sorry you want sympathy not gonna get it from me
    1. Ancalagon's Avatar
      Ancalagon -
      Maybe they werent as aware back in those days, but you dont take chances with things like that in foreign countries. No matter how much money they promise, tell them no.

      @marine1

      You mean the war on drugs? Imagine if corporations farmed poppies so that farmers in Afghanistan would not be forced to at gunpoint. Imagine if someone who wanted to do drugs, could be guaranteed that the drugs they were buying were not tampered with.

      Ask Netherlands about legalization, its worked great for them. Its actually reduced consumption levels.
    1. marine1's Avatar
      marine1 -
      I refuse to get into yet another pro/anti drug discussion.
    1. Ancalagon's Avatar
      Ancalagon -
      Then you shouldnt try to start one.
    1. Lycanthrope's Avatar
      Lycanthrope -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
      Then you shouldnt try to start one.
      Couldn't agree more.
    1. marine1's Avatar
      marine1 -
      I didn't you did
    1. fantasticfred's Avatar
      fantasticfred -
      One flying back from Thailand I was approached by this Indian gentleman who befriended me. Just before boarding he asked if I would not carry on one of his bags as he was over loaded. I was young so I thought nothing about it. But just before i was about to board I came around and asked him if he minded if I had a look what was in the bag. He scowled at me and grabed the bag and walked out of the boarding lounge.

      Another time again when I was young I went with a group in the company i worked for to Singapore. Before we boarded i was asked to carry the First aid kit. I didn't think much about this until as walking through the Singapore entry gates I read "Mandatory death penalty for drug trafficking and it occurred to me I was carrying a plastic suitcase full of pills. Lucky i figured it out after i was through or might of had a panic attack.

      Be careful of judging too quickly. People are innocently made into mules every day.
    1. fantasticfred's Avatar
      fantasticfred -
      Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post
      And what about the lives lost to drugs? Sorry you want sympathy not gonna get it from me
      Mostly all avoidable if drugs were legal and regulated. then standards could be upheld and people would know they are not getting toxic (more so than necessary) drugs. People could also get treatment without stigma and wouldn't have to hang out in the depravid depths of society to carry on their habit. I hate drugs and have seen them screw up many friends, but I don't think we help anyone by making them illegal. Drug crime and drug lords and gangsters are also a direct result of making drugs illegal. Legalize them and their street value diminishes. Never actively encourage the use of drugs further than this though obviously.
    1. DrYes's Avatar
      DrYes -
      Wow this guy has a lot of catching up to do.
    1. Ninja'd's Avatar
      Ninja'd -
      Quote Originally Posted by DrYes View Post
      Wow this guy has a lot of catching up to do.
      His family already bought him an iPhone 4S.
    1. Nicodeamus's Avatar
      Nicodeamus -
      Don't be surprised if people don't want to call you Baas anymore.
    1. ponder's Avatar
      ponder -
      Quote Originally Posted by fantasticfred View Post
      One flying back from Thailand I was approached by this Indian gentleman who befriended me. Just before boarding he asked if I would not carry on one of his bags as he was over loaded. I was young so I thought nothing about it. But just before i was about to board I came around and asked him if he minded if I had a look what was in the bag. He scowled at me and grabed the bag and walked out of the boarding lounge.

      Another time again when I was young I went with a group in the company i worked for to Singapore. Before we boarded i was asked to carry the First aid kit. I didn't think much about this until as walking through the Singapore entry gates I read "Mandatory death penalty for drug trafficking and it occurred to me I was carrying a plastic suitcase full of pills. Lucky i figured it out after i was through or might of had a panic attack.

      Be careful of judging too quickly. People are innocently made into mules every day.
      ANYBODY that carries anything through customs for another person is stupid. I don't believe they deserve the punishment handed out to them but c'mon after all the horror stories one has heard surely you would know not to do it. If i had to travel to a country with a death penalty for drugs I would probably only take hand baggage that is locked and never left my side just in case someone sneaks something in, that's how paranoid I am.

      People that do this knowingly deserve what they get, when in rome do like the romans do and abide by their laws even though you don't agree with them. On second thought just avoid the place.
    1. killadoob's Avatar
      killadoob -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
      Maybe they werent as aware back in those days, but you dont take chances with things like that in foreign countries. No matter how much money they promise, tell them no.

      @marine1

      You mean the war on drugs? Imagine if corporations farmed poppies so that farmers in Afghanistan would not be forced to at gunpoint. Imagine if someone who wanted to do drugs, could be guaranteed that the drugs they were buying were not tampered with.

      Ask Netherlands about legalization, its worked great for them. Its actually reduced consumption levels.
      So how has their law on importing drugs worked? Can you go there with two kilo's of heroine/coke in your tummy and walk away scott free?

      I somehow doubt it. If you are dumb enough to try traffic drugs in foreign countries don't cry about it.

      What are the laws in netherlands regarding 1.2k of heroine? I am sure jail time will the order of the day.

      Quote Originally Posted by fantasticfred View Post
      Mostly all avoidable if drugs were legal and regulated. then standards could be upheld and people would know they are not getting toxic (more so than necessary) drugs. People could also get treatment without stigma and wouldn't have to hang out in the depravid depths of society to carry on their habit. I hate drugs and have seen them screw up many friends, but I don't think we help anyone by making them illegal. Drug crime and drug lords and gangsters are also a direct result of making drugs illegal. Legalize them and their street value diminishes. Never actively encourage the use of drugs further than this though obviously.
      Tell me how has legalizing cigi's worked out hey? Do you think legalizing some of the most addictive drugs on the planet will work? Think about how many people are addicted to cigi's, would people be so addicted to cancer sticks if it was illegal i wonder?

      I dunno i don't think legalizing nicotine has worked in all honesty.
    1. fantasticfred's Avatar
      fantasticfred -
      Quote Originally Posted by killadoob View Post
      Tell me how has legalizing cigi's worked out hey? Do you think legalizing some of the most addictive drugs on the planet will work? Think about how many people are addicted to cigi's, would people be so addicted to cancer sticks if it was illegal i wonder?

      I dunno i don't think legalizing nicotine has worked in all honesty.
      Nicotene has been legal long before we knew it was bad for us. Well for that you can thank ignorance in the early party of the last century where ciggies were even promoted as healthy at one stage. The advertising industry also pushed the image of ciggies as cool onto people. Think back on the ciggie ads of the 1980's. Since then it's just been a habit that until very recently was socially acceptable. I don't think it's comparable for these reasons.
    1. killadoob's Avatar
      killadoob -
      Quote Originally Posted by fantasticfred View Post
      Nicotene has been legal long before we knew it was bad for us. Well for that you can thank ignorance in the early party of the last century where ciggies were even promoted as healthy at one stage. The advertising industry also pushed the image of ciggies as cool onto people. Think back on the ciggie ads of the 1980's. Since then it's just been a habit that until very recently was socially acceptable. I don't think it's comparable for these reasons.
      Perhaps not but do you deny that nicotine is the only reason people smoke for the most part? Perhaps some smoke socially but most addicted people cannot go without nicotine for very long and quitting is extremely hard, i understand the advertising but i don't think people see a cigi ad on tv and then go rushing off to the shops. In general it comes from peer pressure, wanting to be cool and so on. The ads may affect which brand they end up being hooked on but i don't think advertising will make people smoke. Movies also make drug use look cool as well.

      I just think nicotine is a prime example of how badly addicted people can get to legal drugs.
    1. ChilliGirl's Avatar
      ChilliGirl -
      And this is why I don't trust people when they want stuff moved by me when I travel....

      I do you a favour = my rules
      put the money into my account & I buy at a store I see fit, then I move it....
  • 300x250 advertisement

  • 300x250 advertisement

  • Recent Article Comments Widget

    koeksGHT

    Zuma misled South Africans: Maimane

    Yet there is a compliance of 30%

    For a tax boycott to work you need the major companies to join... Go to last post

    koeksGHT 22-12-2014 06:00 PM
    satanboy

    Zuma misled South Africans: Maimane

    we can get the majority of South Africans voting for one party...oh wait Go to last post

    satanboy 22-12-2014 05:56 PM
    Ol' Mean Bastid

    Zuma misled South Africans: Maimane

    Not if everyone stands together, this is the biggest problem in SA, everyone bitches but nobody... Go to last post

    Ol' Mean Bastid 22-12-2014 05:48 PM
    Messugga

    Zuma misled South Africans: Maimane

    Tax boycott? Then big bad SARS comes after you with fines and threats and you end up screwed. Go to last post

    Messugga 22-12-2014 05:35 PM
    MickeyD

    Zuma misled South Africans: Maimane

    So Zuma does not believe that the president did anything wrong.

    How about we ask the president... Go to last post

    MickeyD 22-12-2014 05:34 PM