Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

• DA leader Helen Zille must resign: CDP

DA leader Helen Zille must resign after a communications tender was provisionally found to be invalid by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela, the Christian Democratic Party said on Sunday.

"... Helen Zille can only blame herself for tweeting that she will resign if any wrongdoing is found in the Western Cape communications tender," said party leader Theunis Botha in a statement.

In the draft report, Madonsela reportedly found that the tender awarded to advertising agency TBWA/Hunt Lascaris in 2010 to centralise communications was invalid.

Madonsela's report was leaked to newspapers a week before a deadline for the province's response.

Botha said Zille had often criticised members of the ruling party, and should therefore take this opportunity to be "an example to her opponents in the ANC and resign, so saving the DA's reputation".

He believed, however, that the Democratic Alliance would not accept her resignation.

South Africa was in danger of becoming "a de facto two party dictatorship", Botha said.

Earlier, Zille condemned the leaking of the preliminary report into her government's communications contract and defended the tender.

"This in itself is highly irregular," Zille said in the DA's newsletter, SA Today.

It prejudiced the province's right to rectify what it described as material legal errors in the draft report, before the report was finalised.

"Without casting aspersions on the Public Protector herself, we believe this premature leak prejudices the administration of justice and compromises our rights," she said.

Zille said repeated attempts to contact Madonsela had failed, and so the province had to publicly state its case.

"Should the draft report's material errors in law not be rectified in the final report, we will take the findings on review to the high court," said Zille.

It was accepted by all parties that there had been no corruption whatsoever, "nor any evidence of political involvement, interference or manipulation in the procurement process", she said.

However, the report had found that two of the six people on a tender bid evaluation committee -- the premier's special advisers, Ryan Coetzee and Gavin Davis -- should not have been there.

It found their involvement was unlawful, that the contract was rendered invalid and its termination was required, Zille said.

"According to our senior counsel, advocate Geoff Budlender, this conclusion is legally flawed and cannot be sustained," she said.

There was no clause in the Constitution, the Public Finance Management Act, the Treasury Regulations, or the Accounting Officer's System that explicitly or implicitly prohibited the involvement of special advisers in the bid evaluation process.

The Western Cape government did not have the legal power to terminate the contract, Budlender told Zille.

It would have to apply to the Cape High Court, but the court would "inevitably find that considerations of public interest, pragmatism and practicality lead to the conclusion that the award of the tender should not be set aside," Zille quoted him as saying.

The court application would result in fruitless and wasteful expenditure.

City Press reported that the contract amount was capped at R70 million a year for two years for "ongoing costs". It also provided R1.5m for "once-off deliverables".

Zille contested the value of the contract.

"Since the contract was brought into effect, less than R6m has been spent on communications with the agency," she said. TBWA had received less than R1m from the contract.

The National Education, Health and Allied Workers' Union called for Zille's resignation.

Madonsela had been explicit in concluding that the tender amounted to "improper conduct and maladministration", it said.

"The DA and its leader in particular were aware of its irregularity and proceeded to endorse it even after the objections of the provincial treasury," said Nehawu.

"We call for an investigation on the prevalence of "tenderpreneurship" in the Western Cape and all DA led municipalities."

Proper governance and financial management principles had been neglected in the tender, it said.

In her letter, Zille dismissed calls for her resignation as "normal political posturing" as no corruption had been found.

She and Madonsela would meet this week to discuss the report, she said.
    Comments 40 Comments
      rpm -
      DA leader Helen Zille must resign after a communications tender was provisionally found to be invalid by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela, the Christian Democratic Party said on Sunday.

"... Helen Zille can only blame herself for tweeting that she will resign if any wrongdoing is found in the Western Cape communications tender," said party leader Theunis Botha in a statement.
      daveza -
      Christian Democratic Party
      Who ?

And Botha you are an idiot.
      Ockie -
      CDP...cant say I ever heard of them. Creep back into the hole where you came from!

Look...I dont think it was a bright thing what she did...making that statement....but I think she is a fantastic leader regardless with a even more fantastic vision for this country and its people....and the day she steps down will be a sad day for me....I just hope that Lindiwe can fill her shoes if she takes over.
      MickeyD -
      Maybe Theunis Botha needs to read the DA response and wait for the final report before commenting on a leaked preliminary report. Clever Politics 101.
      Lounger -
      If I had R10 for every time Zille offered to resign and then failed to do it, I would be very rich.

She knows full well that the PP doesn't get involved in criminal matters and will not 'discover' corruption. That is for the Hawks. Zille knows this and is therefore always feels safe to make promises like that. Ever the slimy politician.
      MickeyD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lounger View Post
      If I had R10 for every time Zille offered to resign and then failed to do it, I would be very rich.

She knows full well that the PP doesn't get involved in criminal matters and will not 'discover' corruption. That is for the Hawks. Zille knows this and is therefore always feels safe to make promises like that. Ever the slimy politician.
      I see you also have not read the DA response yet...
      Lounger -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
      I see you also have not read the DA response yet...
      I have read the official response, yes. Was that your question?
      daveza -
      All politicians are slimy, but at least this one keeps the really slimy ones in check.
      Lounger -
      Quote Originally Posted by daveza View Post
      All politicians are slimy, but at least this one keeps the really slimy ones in check.
      Having DA advisers, paid by her, (3 of them) sitting around a table deciding on government tenders is keeping them in check?? Pull the other one.
      MickeyD -
      I have read the official response, yes. Was that your question?
      Where is the corruption in this instance?
      Lounger -
      Where is the corruption in this instance?
      You miss the point. Perhaps, in the mean time, you should speak to the PP office and ask them if they ever deal with corruption. The answer may not be what you expected.
      MickeyD -
      You miss the point. Perhaps, in the mean time, you should speak to the PP office and ask them if they ever deal with corruption. The answer may not be what you expected.
      No, I agree with you regarding the PP and corruption. However, I'm willing to bet that if the PP says that there is a corrupt practice then the Hawks would be there immediately.
      VJB 449 -

You either suck at math or have a strange perception of 'very rich'.
      Lounger -
      No, I agree with you regarding the PP and corruption. However, I'm willing to bet that if the PP says that there is a corrupt practice then the Hawks would be there immediately.
      The point is the procedures to prevent corruption were not adhered to. If corruption took place, then the checks and balances were not there to catch it. Why do you think they have to adhere to such elaborate processes in the first place if corruption was so easy to spot?
      phaktza -
      Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post

http://www.da.org.za/newsroom.htm?ac...-item&id=10681

The DA lawyers can't even find the particular piece of legislation the Public Protector is referring to. Hardly a case of corruption and, at most, a case of minor oversight.

All this despite the fact that the special adviser actually preferred an alternate supplier to the once awarded the tender.
      phaktza -
      Quote Originally Posted by VJB 449 View Post
      You either suck at math or have a strange perception of 'very rich'.
      Is R10 very rich, VJB? Because then I'm losts of rich!
      Lounger -
      Quote Originally Posted by phaktza View Post
      http://www.da.org.za/newsroom.htm?ac...-item&id=10681

The DA lawyers can't even find the particular piece of legislation the Public Protector is referring to. Hardly a case of corruption and, at most, a case of minor oversight.

All this despite the fact that the special adviser actually preferred an alternate supplier to the once awarded the tender.
      Who won the tender and how is the basic question? This may be a red herring or a potential one.

Did he use his influence to get his pal's company in a better position? Questions, questions ... all relevant.
      DreamKing -
      who appointed that PP?
      ..... and perhaps people are too naive to believe that woman is really protecting YOU. (yes, you )

from cele's case, I can tell you who she was REALLY protecting.
      ToxicBunny -
      Oh Haai there... see you're still up to your usual tricks of trying to make a mountain out of what is turning out to be a very very very small little molehill...
      Jola -
      Come, come, the report has not even been been published yet !
  • 300x250 advertisement

• 300x250 advertisement

• Recent Article Comments Widget

saor

Standing out and sex

That picture at the top of the article...is there a video by any chance :whistle:...? Go to last post

saor 20-04-2014 11:39 PM
    NomNom

Oscar Pistorius supporters stand strong

He killed her, he will be found guilty.....chocolate milkshake please. Go to last post

NomNom 20-04-2014 11:30 PM
    HDS

Oscar Pistorius supporters stand strong

One does not simply walk away from a murder charge, celebrity status or none. That "expert" is... Go to last post

HDS 20-04-2014 11:26 PM
    HDS

Standing out and sex

Anything about moustaches? My mom told me I look like a pedo with mine. Go to last post

HDS 20-04-2014 11:24 PM
    Werner Harding

Whites continue to enjoy preference over other races at work: BMF

Here we go again Go to last post

Werner Harding 20-04-2014 10:02 AM