Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

• Mamphela Ramphele launches Agang political platform

Author, activist and businesswoman Mamphela Ramphele launched a "political platform" in Johannesburg on Monday.

"Today I announce that I am working with a group of fellow citizens to form a party political platform that will focus on rekindling hope that building the country of our dreams is possible in our lifetime," she said in a speech prepared for delivery.

In the speech, emailed while she was leading up to the announcement itself, she said: "We launch this initiative under the name Agang, or in the Nguni languages of our country, Akhani, which can be interpreted in English as 'Build South Africa'."
    Comments 84 Comments
      rpm -
      Author, activist and businesswoman Mamphela Ramphele launched a "political platform" in Johannesburg on Monday.

"Today I announce that I am working with a group of fellow citizens to form a party political platform that will focus on rekindling hope that building the country of our dreams is possible in our lifetime," she said in a speech prepared for delivery.
      Sneeky -
      There is what appears to be a full transcript of her announcement here.
      http://www.jacarandafm.com/kagiso/co...-party---Agang

Its long but meaty, change to electoral system, government corruption with Chancellor House getting a special mention, it goes on.

This will make the ANC froth at the mouth like rabid dogs.
      Awaiting Gwede or Jackson's vitriolic response.

Que popcorn.
      DJ... -
      Agang?

She might be a thinker, but certainly not a marketer. That is the most unfortunate name she could have come up with, regardless of its meaning...
      IzZzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sneeky View Post
      This will make the ANC froth at the mouth like rabid dogs.
      Awaiting Gwede or Jackson's vitriolic response.

Que popcorn.
      The one thing that will be quite good is that the ANC will be unable to pull a race card insta-response.
      blunomore -
      What exactly is a political platform?
      DJ... -
      Quote Originally Posted by IzZzy View Post
      The one thing that will be quite good is that the ANC will be unable to pull a race card insta-response.
      "A gang of coconuts" is more than likely already on the ANC's PR list...
      IzZzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
      "A gang of coconuts" is more than likely already on the ANC's PR list...
      Unfortunate if they decide to go this route.

She had my vote at recommending electoral reforms. The DA seems to have a middle of the road approach, openly advertising spots for MPs on the basis that the best qualified should be appointed.

Very interesting dynamic!
      Paul Hjul -
      Quote Originally Posted by blunomore View Post
      What exactly is a political platform?
      By using the term platform she is not committing to starting another opposition party but may in fact join a party or co-ordinate an alliance or framework for co-operative governance. I suspect the announcement will be followed by some developments once the COPE judgment comes out.
      Picard -
      Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
      Agang?
      Don't bring your counter-revolutionary English concept tendencies into this revolutionary thread.
      Cool E -
      Is she planning to be our future president?

Just imagine : A Gang is the ruling party platform in SA.
      The_Librarian -
      Put a J in front of Agang.

Jagang. Wiki : http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Jagang

Bad choice for a name.
      IzZzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cool E View Post
      Is she planning to be our future president?

Just imagine : A Gang is the ruling party platform in SA.
      No different to what's happening now
      Cool E -
      Quote Originally Posted by IzZzy View Post
      No different to what's happening now
      Does is mean she just want the position in the gov?
      Garyvdh -
      I can't see anything good coming of this. Just more fragmentation of the political landscape in SA.

The fact that she can't pick any one particular party to work with means she will not be easy to get along with.

But hopefully she draws votes away from the ANC rather than from the existing opposition parties.
      IzZzy -
      Does is mean she just want the position in the gov?
      Was just being facetious

Though that being said, she has enough money that any desire for abusing a public position for her own benefit is drastically reduced. She seems to be the 'reluctant leader' i.e. but for the way things are going, she wouldn't have ever intervened in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
      But hopefully she draws votes away from the ANC rather than from the existing opposition parties.
      As stated, I will more than likely vote for her party should she officially launch one. So it seems it will in all likelihood draw votes away from existing opposition parties.
      The_Librarian -
      Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
      I can't see anything good coming of this. Just more fragmentation of the political landscape in SA.

The fact that she can't pick any one particular party to work with means she will not be easy to get along with.

What was Julius Caesar's strategy? Divide and conquer.

This can swing both ways - weaken the DA, or weaken the ANC.

I hope it's the latter.
      daveza -
      I'm concerned she is going to take votes from the DA in the Western Cape - perhaps it would be prudent for her party not to have a WC candidate and rather focus on areas where she can take votes from the ANC - Eastern Cape comes to mind.
      Cool E -
      Quote Originally Posted by daveza View Post
      I'm concerned she is going to take votes from the DA in the Western Cape - perhaps it would be prudent for her party not to have a WC candidate and rather focus on areas where she can take votes from the ANC - Eastern Cape comes to mind.
      And if that happens ANC will win WC. DA fans you must be afraid now.
      TelkomUseless -
      DA fans you must be afraid now.
      Fans? You are fan of sport team...
      Paul Hjul -
      We have a proportional system so even if she takes a seat or two from the DA in the WC the ANC doesn't come to power, the DA is just forced to go into coalition. The vote split argument is fear mongering.
  • 300x250 advertisement

• 300x250 advertisement

• Recent Article Comments Widget

bekdik

ANC parliament peace deal fails

Did anyone expect otherwise? Go to last post

bekdik 24-11-2014 09:45 PM
    McT

Nkandla fence falling apart

Just what I was thinking. We have a problem with unemployment so why not constantly create... Go to last post

McT 24-11-2014 09:21 PM
    Picard

African style. Go to last post

Picard 24-11-2014 09:18 PM
    rpm

ANC parliament peace deal fails

A second bid to broker a peace deal for parliament failed at a meeting between Deputy President... Go to last post

rpm 24-11-2014 07:26 PM
    bekdik

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how job creation works. Go to last post

bekdik 24-11-2014 04:49 PM