Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

• Gauteng flood warning issued

With more rain forecast, Gauteng residents are urged to take care when crossing flood-prone areas, Gauteng Emergency Services said on Wednesday.

"Drowning is the leading cause of flood-related deaths, with most occurring during flash floods; it's hard to believe, but even six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet," said spokeswoman Nana Radebe.

Flood-prone areas in the province included areas around Soweto such as Dobsonville, Orlando West, Klipspruit Valley Road and Dube.

"Residents should stay away from power lines and electrical wires. Electrocution is a major cause of deaths in floods [because] electrical currents travel through water."

She advised motorists to avoid driving in flooded areas.

"If your car stalls in a flooded area, leave it and move to a higher ground immediately."

Source : Sapa /ge/rod
    Date : 05 Mar 2014 16:33
    Comments 36 Comments
      rpm -
      With more rain forecast, Gauteng residents are urged to take care when crossing flood-prone areas, Gauteng Emergency Services said on Wednesday.

"Drowning is the leading cause of flood-related deaths, with most occurring during flash floods; it's hard to believe, but even six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet," said spokeswoman Nana Radebe.
      Venomous -
      just looked at a weather forecast, we are supposedly going to have rain until Monday!
      kat06sa -
      Potholes.... Potholes everywhere.
      nicbst -
      Damn there goes my sunny birthday on Sunday...
      2012 -
      Again? Like the 5th flooding in GP this year.
      Park@82 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kat06sa View Post
      +1 seeing lots of potholes.
      SlowInternet -
      Yes potholes all over
      Quey_Quick -
      Quote Originally Posted by Venomous View Post
      just looked at a weather forecast, we are supposedly going to have rain until Monday!
      Accuweather predicts rain for the whole of next week as well.
      koeksGHT -
      Quote Originally Posted by SlowInternet View Post
      Yes potholes all over
      Not potholes! The road is literally falling apart!

Sigh

Attachment 103590
      Venomous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Quey_Quick View Post
      kat06sa -
      Quote Originally Posted by Quey_Quick View Post
      Can this just stop now. I want to go cycling instead of rowing.
      Quey_Quick -
      I hear you
      GhostSixFour -
      I was jsut getting into my afternoon rides - now this ****. Arrghhh.
      The_Librarian -
      Be glad for the rain. Next year or so there'll be a drought and then you guys will start moaning for some rain...
      Garyvdh -
      Rainy weather conditions are expected to continue in parts of the country for the next seven days, the SA Weather Service said on Thursday.

"This is due to warm, moist tropical air coming in from the north," said forecaster Dransby Dulo.

Areas that would be most affected included Gauteng, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West, KwaZulu-Natal, and the northern half of the Free State.

Dulo said an 80 percent chance of showers and thunder showers was expected on Thursday and Friday in Gauteng, Limpopo, and Mpumalanga.

"This could cause possible floods in the area," he said.

A 60 percent chance of showers and thunder showers could be expected over the weekend in these areas.

"The rainy weather conditions should clear up in the next seven days," Dulo said.

No new flood-related incidents were reported in Johannesburg overnight, Gauteng Emergency Services spokeswoman Nana Radebe said on Thursday morning.

Johannesburg metro police spokesman Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar said the water levels on the roads in Johannesburg had substantially subsided by Thursday morning and no new road flooding was reported.

Tshwane Emergency Services spokesman Johan Pieterse said emergency services would be on high alert in Tshwane during the rainy weather.

"It is not currently raining in Tshwane but when it does we will be on alert," Pieterse said on Thursday morning.

Source : Sapa /kd/jk
      Date : 06 Mar 2014 08:40
      dlk001 -
      The bigger problem is that rapid development in Gauteng has happened with little consideration for drainage which means poor stormwater management. As a result, we are going to see smaller frequent occurring storms resulting in increased runoffs which will continue to overwhelm stormwater drainage system (natural and man-made).

Another issue is that stormwater servitudes should not be based on 1:100 year floodline. They should be based on flood hazard zones, floodlines and land use which in turn should be part of the Johannesburg water –cycle management.

One last issue is that despite having existence of hydrologic simulations to predict increased water runoff as a result of development projects, these analyses are hardly performed as part of the planning process. In fact, many developments in Johannesburg are shocking because developers do not take environmental and geotechnical aspects into consideration.
      Rickster -
      Global Warming
      S1ght -
      Has someone sent this weather report to Eskom yet? Wouldn't want their coal to get wet
      Pitbull -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
      Global Warming
      They lost that battle, it's now called Climate Change
      Jladan -
      I for one am shocked that drowning is a cause of death during flooding periods , I am glad that our esteemed govt bought this complicated issue to my attention