New to Android (What apps to look at)
by, 02-12-2011 at 03:32 PM (3330 Views)
I could not decide to blog this or create a thread so here goes
I see there are a lot of new Android users around so I created a list of "Must Have" applications for your new phone, but seeing that people differ on what app they like/use I decided to add the options under each one. I have placed a * under the ones I am personally using so take that as a recommendation that it was worth using them.
I would highly recommend you get one of the following GPS tracking on the phone even if you disable the Anti-virus
* Lookout AntiVirus/Back-up/phone location
AVG Free AntiVirus/Back-up/phone location
SeekDroid Locate and remote Wipe
* Theft Aware Locate and remote Wipe (Needs Root)
Whatsapp Text/SMS replacement
ChatOn Text/SMS replacement
Skype Text/Voice and Video chat
* Viber VoIP and SMS replacement
* IM+ All in one Instant messenger
* Tapatalk Forum App Forum app with MyBB support.
3. Data Management
3G watchdog Data Alert
My Data Manager App breakdown and alert
* Onavo Data Plan management + app control light firewall
Droidwall Firewall (Needs Root)
4. Power management
Data on demand Disables data radio when phones sleeps
* Juice Defender Polls data radio and schedule nighttime's so your phone dont waste power while you sleep.
* Watchdog Task Manager unlike other useless task managers this one is based on CPU usage with alert/kill settings.
PowerTutor Display in mW how much power each application use, Find the drain.
Quick Office Office document editor
* Documents on the go Office document editor
6. File Management
ASTRO File Manager Add supported with option to remove
* ES File explorer
* File Expert With cloud integration (all in one)
* Navfree Open street map generated offline navigation - needs to be online when searching new addresses.
* Sygic Total offline navigation
CoPilot South Africa Total Offline navigation
Route 66 Offline navigation
Waze Community GPS navigation (Thanx to DWPTA for admission)
Opera Mini Web Browser with data compression
Firefox Sync with desktop + WebGL Support
* Dolphin Tab supported Browser
* Miren Tab supported browser
* Amazon App store (Free app of the day) How to Join from SA
* GetJar Paid applications for free under Gold Star list
10. Keyboard Replacement
SlideIT Swipe with loads of themes
* Touchpal Swipe + touch + voice input.
Swiftkey X Predictive keyboard with loads of themes
* Thumb Keyboard Themed keyboard with tablet support
11. Remote control/management
Remote Web Desktop
Android Sync Manager
* Splashtop Remote Remote streaming of your desktop (Free in GetJar)
PocketCloud Remote RDP / VNC Remote client for your phone
12. Look And Feel
* ADW Launcher Launcher with extra themes available
LauncherPro Launcher with extra themes available
Regina 3D Launcher Launcher with extra widgets
* SPB Shell 3D 3D Launcher with extra 3D widgets
MXHome Launcher Launcher with extra themes
Launcher 7 Windows Phone 7 Launcher Metro look
Espier Launcher Complete iPhone look and feel
GO Launcher EX Launcher with loads of custom widgets and themes.
* Beautiful Widgets Weather and clock widgets with extra themes in app (Free in Getjar)
* Android Pro Widgets Loads of widgets from Facebook to calendar with themes.
* Calculator Widget
* Power Widget
WidgetLocker Lockscreen Allows you to customize your lockscreen like adding widgets
* Titanium Backup Allows for full phone back-up and simply the best (Needs Root)
MyBackup Root Simple full backup (Needs Root)
Call Logs Backup & Restore
SMS Backup & Restore
As for Applications the File managers mentioned above does the normal APK back-up to your SD card. (I would normally advise just re-installing applications from the market to be able to see updates.
General apps I normally say is a must
Samba file share Share your phone directories so you can browse and use them from a PC (Needs Root)
WiFi Finder Locate and test Wifi Signal or
WiFi Analyzer Locate WiFi in your area
My Sync Center Android WiFi sync+backup with iTunes support
SwipePad Quick Launcher for Android.
Official XBMC Remote Media center remote control via WiFi
Compass General use Compass with tagging ability, find your car made easy.
This is by no means all of it but its the sections I highly recommend you look at to enjoy your phone more
Also dont forget the Sticky in the Android section
PS: I will probably add/remove to this list as time goes on.