Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Santam: Put a tracking system into your VW Golf, or else…

Blog Entries

Question Santam: Put a tracking system into your VW Golf, or else…

As per Title, This is what Santam told us about the VW CitiStorm 1.4i that’s standing outside on the driveway at the moment with 0.00 KM on the clock (YAY, New car yes! – They never connected some small cable thingy at the VW dealer yesterday). They are forcing us to have a Tracking unit installed within 14 days or they refuse to cover this vehicle due to the rate at which these things are getting stolen.

Now we have a choice:
    Go with “their” tracker, Tracker for the basic system as a reduced price of like R87/78pm or go with some other Tracking Company (Netstar, Matrix, etc). Don’t think they will give me “reduced” rates at anyone except Tracker though. Anyone got some advice for me? Is anyone here at Santam as well?

The clock is ticking…
    ic's back, back again . . .

I'm not surprised. I used to work in Roodepoort. They stole about 4-5 Golfs in 1 month out of the "security" complex (Corner Hendrik Verwoerd and 14th). And this went on for months/years.

My Golf was stolen too, just 1 year left on the bank...

So get yourself a good tracker. Not the one where you have to active it.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Agreed on the Golf thing - mine was stolen out of my parent's yard about 8 years ago.

Dunno why it's so popular - maybe you should put it in the garage on blocks, and when the Golf's popularity declines sharply due to it getting stolen so much, wait a few months for it to be out of popularity, then you won't need a tracker as nobody'll want to steal it anymore due to it being not popular anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Agreed on the Golf thing - mine was stolen out of my parent's yard about 8 years ago.

Dunno why it's so popular - maybe you should put it in the garage on blocks, and when the Golf's popularity declines sharply due to it getting stolen so much, wait a few months for it to be out of popularity, then you won't need a tracker as nobody'll want to steal it anymore due to it being not popular anymore...
    I think it's the fact that they're so easy to steal. And the fact that they can very easily be chopped and sold for parts, unlike many other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ld13 View Post
    As per Title, This is what Santam told us about the VW CitiStorm 1.4i that’s standing outside on the driveway at the moment with 0.00 KM on the clock (YAY, New car yes! – They never connected some small cable thingy at the VW dealer yesterday). They are forcing us to have a Tracking unit installed within 14 days or they refuse to cover this vehicle due to the rate at which these things are getting stolen.

Now we have a choice:
    Go with “their” tracker, Tracker for the basic system as a reduced price of like R87/78pm or go with some other Tracking Company (Netstar, Matrix, etc). Don’t think they will give me “reduced” rates at anyone except Tracker though. Anyone got some advice for me? Is anyone here at Santam as well?

The clock is ticking…
    Why'd you buy a Citigolf?

Quote Originally Posted by ld13 View Post

Now we have a choice:

The clock is ticking…
    Dude, for your own piece of mind get one. With my Velociti I had Tracker installed, a friend of mine had his golf stolen and they recovered it within a day, too late coz they had already stripped it.

Be aware of their accounts department though, they never debit your installment on time, and are a general pain to deal with. So maybe try Netstar, but they are not exactly cheap.

No offense but Citi Golf's are moving death traps, if you don't get killed in accident you get hijacked and possible shot.

Why do people keep buying them for the ridicules price they sell these things at?

Grandmaster

Santam will give you a discount when you have any tracking system installed. I enquired a few months ago and the cost of the tracker was more than the discount, so no tracker for me

They will also give you a discount on your premiums if you have a gearlock fitted.

Your broker should have given you all this information. If you are not happy with your broker, give Snyman Van Der Vyver a call (or email). They have always been very helpful and answer email queries immediately. You can even submit your claims online!!!

I got a NetStar installed because it saved me more than it cost - now that cost vs savings have levelled out its gone.

If someone steals my car I probably wouldnt want it back anyway.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    I got a NetStar installed because it saved me more than it cost - now that cost vs savings have levelled out its gone.

Do you have insurance to cover the balance you owe the bank, after what the insurance gives you for what they think your car is worth? You don't wanna be paying for a car you don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by sox63 View Post
    Do you have insurance to cover the balance you owe the bank, after what the insurance gives you for what they think your car is worth? You don't wanna be paying for a car you don't have.
    The car is all mine
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    No offense but Citi Golf's are moving death traps, if you don't get killed in accident you get hijacked and possible shot.

Why do people keep buying them for the ridicules price they sell these things at?
    Jeez, thats harsh man. Most cars are moving death traps and if u dont get killed in an accident you may also get hijacked and possible be shot. Thats why we all know that climbing in your car and driving off may as well be the last for you. So, please dont single out the Citi Golfs.
    If the grass is greener on the other side, it probably has more poep in it

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post

I agree and then they come pass you on the highway at speeds in excess of 160km/h...

No safety!!

Master

Just beware of contract terms as well, will have to sign a 2 year contract with tracker, so if you sell the car before the contract expires you are still liable.

Had all most the same story with Outsurance -- The discount was less than the tracker, did enquire anyway, the installer never installed tracker in my model car before, I would have been the first...

Told them to try the next fool, I will not be you test-bed...

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post

Hahaha I would have said the same thing 3 weeks ago...

Mine got stolen just before Xmas I wanted it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To late now, its gone, still sucks!! I miss it

Took them less than 15 minutes eish with all the stuff locked, the doors, the steering and the gearlock, in broad daylight.

First time I experienced it, very bad feeling!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast