Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MTN Speed Test Results

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    using e220?
    Option GT MAX 3.6

Master

I see MTN has a nice big advert on Page 3 of Sunday Times dated 03/02/2008 whereby there introduce HSDPA 3.6 and HSDPA 7.2 , and then they make mention of the E220 and E800 datacards.

So is my E620 not capable of receiving 3.6 or 7.2 or how ?

Master

1070 kb/s download
    53 kb/s upload
    296 ms ping
    Server - Johannesburg - distance is greater than 750 miles (faster via GP than via CT)

Testing done at 16H12 on 03/02/08

E620 datacard.
    Host01.11.13.04.11.08 with MTN dashboard software with Firmware 11.18.02.60.00 that I installed last year from MTN's website.
    Area is TygerValley Waterfront , Tygerfalls Complex right next to TygerValley Centre.
    Last edited by fismail; 03-02-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Master

880 kb/s download
    51 kb/s upload
    609 ms ping
    Server - Cape Town - distance is under 59 miles

Testing done at 16H16 on 03/02/08

E620 datacard.
    Host01.11.13.04.11.08 with MTN dashboard software with Firmware 11.18.02.60.00 that I installed last year from MTN's website.
    Area is TygerValley Waterfront , Tygerfalls Complex right next to TygerValley Centre.

Master

Using your E620 tool this is what comes up.

Hardware version - CD21TCPU Ver.B
    Firmware version - 11.18.02.60.00

I downloaded that f/w last year from MTN's website , filename was Firmware 11.18.02.60.00.zip

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    The E620 is not capable of 3.6Mbps.

I think that's your MTN software version, not the card's firmware version.

Master

Relax bru , did'nt read it thread specifically.

Does the replacement E800 I assume ( that its a replacement ) come in PCMCIA / PC Card format or is it a PC Express card.

Quote Originally Posted by ic View Post
    ginggs has already explicitly answered that question in this thread the first time you posted it.

Banned

31-01-2008, 10:33 PM
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost...1&postcount=11
    Quote Originally Posted by neo
    Actually went around with an E220 looking for 3.6 and 7.2 with a U740.

Went to MTN's head office in Cape Town (stood outside on the pavement), Century City and the Waterfront.

Nada......

Will try airport..
    01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost...5&postcount=35
    Quote Originally Posted by neo
    I've been a Vodacom customer from the first day, never had a MTN or other SIM.

Someone's not being totally truthful here.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    31-01-2008, 10:33 PM
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost...1&postcount=11

01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost...5&postcount=35

Someone's not being totally truthful here.
    Shame, trying to play the man to try and detract from the topic under discussion. Pathetic.

I've got the devices, buddy of mine has the MTN contract. I've been helping him find these elusive 3.6 (or 7.2 if you believe the MTN ads in the Sunday newspapers) towers.

So far, without any success.

I noticed that in their ads they don't say the service is only available to a select few (and even these are not published), so I suggest you engage your "elevated sense of fairness" and do your normal "Let's report them to the ASA" song and dance.

Quote Originally Posted by fismail View Post
    Does the replacement E800 I assume ( that its a replacement ) come in PCMCIA / PC Card format or is it a PC Express card.
    It's an Express Card/34, full specs here.

Master

Ah well , nice to have all the new toys but if the network don't support it with a tower here or there then its kind of pointless IMHO.

As Gings said its hard enough getting at least 1.2mb downstream , although I must admit last year at a few mornings at like 3am it does klap to as high as 1.5mb depending on the towers and bandwidth (this according to NetMeter)

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    It's an Express Card/34, full specs here.

On the line with MTN calldesk to try and find out where the elusive 3.6 / 7.2 coverage is.

Neither the operator nor her supervisor knew what HSDPA is! They've never heard of the service!!

Ok, now I've been transferred a few times and found someone who knows what HSDPA is, but he does not have a coverage map. Will call me back. Let's see.

Worst is, when they put you on 'hold' they just put the phone down on the desk, so you've got no idea if they're talking to you or one of their mates. Interesting though to listen to the conversation between the agents Sounds like they're all lost on this 'HSDPA' thing.

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    On the line with MTN calldesk to try and find out where the elusive 3.6 / 7.2 coverage is.

Neither the operator nor her supervisor knew what HSDPA is! They've never heard of the service!!

Ok, now I've been transferred a few times and found someone who knows what HSDPA is, but he does not have a coverage map. Will call me back. Let's see.

Worst is, when they put you on 'hold' they just put the phone down on the desk, so you've got no idea if they're talking to you or one of their mates. Interesting though to listen to the conversation between the agents Sounds like they're all lost on this 'HSDPA' thing.

HAHAHA

Ok, went to MTN web site to check if there is any info, but nothing on 3.6 / 7.2. Tried support page: http://www.mtn.co.za/default.aspx?pid=6465 and called 0821808 (Customer Care). (Already tried 083173 above.) These are the only numbers on the Support Page. Guy who answered 0831808 said he cannot help me with any data related queries, I must look on the web....

Ok, buddy says call 0831555. Did, spoke to Linda. He recons ALL MTN HSDPA towers are on 3.6 and 7.2 but I must upgrade the modem to get 7.2. However current firmware on E220 is fine for 3.6. Told him we can't get 3.6 and he's a bit lost.

Linda's story does not seem to tally with MTN's press release onthe 25th that said selected towers are on 3.6 and only a few in Cape Town on 7.2.

Seems confusion reigns and as yet no-one can get the service?

Oh and there is nothing about this so called "launch" on the MTN site. Take a look at the press room: http://www.mtn.co.za/?pid=9522 - nothing. You would think this to be bigger news than some big wigs having their passports stolen...

MTN I am calling your bluff. You don't have a 3.6 service let alone a 7.2 one...

Banned

What speeds will convince you?

What speeds are the competition providing on 3.6 and 7.2?

I can't do any testing at the moment - as much as I'd like to refute or confirm these allegations about all networks.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast