Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Krag: ergste kom nog

Default Krag: ergste kom nog

This is what the heading is of the Rapport: Krag: ergste kom nog

Suid-Afrika se kragkrisis is by die punt waar die hele land dae en selfs weke aaneen sonder krag kan wees. n Regeringsverslag waarsku dat die land afstuur op n stelselwye verdonkering ( system wide blackout )

There is still more, but itll take ma AGES to type it all, but it will give you a basic idea

If anyone can get a link to this original page of rapport, id appreciate it...thx

GOT IT!! but not from rapport -----> http://www.news24.com/Rapport/Nuus/0...259226,00.html
    Last edited by Robin Hood; 27-01-2008 at 12:22 PM.

If this statement is true in regarding to the BOLD area, we're stuffed!

Super Grandmaster

All I can say is that it is summer and generally warm across the whole country now.
    I would like to know what the historic increase in demand for power is during winter when compared to summer and how we plan on coping with it, considering the cold months are not to far away.
    "Never buy a black torch"

Sneeky

What scares me is that we can be without power for even WEEKS!!

I call BS on that article. The whole country is not going to go dark.

Before that happens, they will:
    1) Triple electricity prices overnight.
    2) Loadshed 50% of the country.

Sure, that will also nail the economy too, but it would not be total darkness.
    Quote Originally Posted by hereticangel View Post
    Ok i am now the proud owner of 9 telkom shares
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanmuller View Post
    From now on you can't say anything negative about them, else your money might shrink....
    oh snap

Know a chemical technician locally at Lethabo powerplant - 6 units in total -currently only 4 being used ....1 has been taken offline = 3 online . 2 of the 3 are swopping turns for maintenance leaving just 1 out of the total 6 running "optimal".

my2c...the moment this blackout turns reality - die *** gaan spat.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post

Nope - could happen.

Just need one major surge, grid moves a couple of hertz off of 50, and the grid goes down. Badly. There was a very good article in the Sunday Independent on how it all works - I have not seen it online.

There are teams of people working to load shed to prevent that 50 hertz from going wrong - but if they miss something, or it happens too fast - good bye grid.

Imagine, for a second, that just as the day's peak arrives, one of the major power stations goes offline suddenly.
    I am no expert, but will the grid monitoring people be able to react quick enough?
    The reason for a "safety margin" is so as to avoid this constant risk of the grid collapsing.

Side note: they claim to have 6 groups of six people working round the clock to monitor this. Not sure about you, but if I was one of those people, I would need therapy by now. Those people are NOT monkeys - they are skilled "surgeons" - I cannot imagine that they are going to last long under this level of pressure.
    Last edited by Moederloos; 27-01-2008 at 03:03 PM.
    Think twice, speak once.
    ANC - outfailing itself year after year
    ESKOM - Eish, Sorry Krag Opge*** - Maintenance

Yeah...like the Chernobyl desaster.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post

You are assuming that a nationwide blackout will happen gradually.

I am sure you will recall the east coast blackout of a few years back, well there was one also in the east coast back in the 60's where it only took one little trip switch in one little transformer box to topple the whole system.

The peak load exceeds a certain level, it trips out, the load is reversed back to the station, hence tripping that one out, and so on..

My wife met with the regional head of Eskom for the Free State last week and was told that the threat of a nationwide total grid failure was very real and if it were to happen it would take them at least two weeks to restore power..

You assume by calling BS that the system is infailable and you simply make sure you set a switch or something to 'no national blackout' mode.. The real truth is that much of this is automated and as we know, one little problem can bring the whole system crashing down (anyone heard of windows? )

In an ideal world the system most likely works, but now we are juggling power back and forth like a hot potato (which doubles as a handy cure for AIDS too I'm told) and it's only a matter of time before someone makes a mistake (ever notice the power cut doesn't end at 2 hrs dead, but at say 2:10? Thats so they can shift power without tripping by having two suburbs draw power at the same time.
    La révolution dévore ses enfants

Quote Originally Posted by schitz011 View Post
    ever notice the power cut doesn't end at 2 hrs dead, but at say 2:10? Thats so they can shift power without tripping by having two suburbs draw power at the same time.
    ...interesting

The other side is the 50 hertz moving because of excess power - before you laugh (too much power lol!), think:

Eskom tells municipalities to load shed 4000MW.
    Sandton and Pretoria and Cape Town say - OK cool. That will give us 5000MW - nice.
    They flip a switch - and the operators in Eskoms control centre see power become available on the grid - they expect this, so no hassles.
    What they do not expect is to lose a stretch of cable at the same time - a stretch of cable that supplies a smelter and 4 or 5 very large mines.
    At the same time the councils load shed, this cable "breaks" - resulting in a further 3-4000MW being "loadshed". The system now has 9000MW MORE than it had 5 mins before.
    Result - potential disaster, especially considering the people who control the power flows expected a rise - and may be momentarily "relaxed".
    Think twice, speak once.

Rapport maak my

Wens daar was beter Sondagkoerante in Afrikaans beskikbaar
    Last edited by bodhi; 27-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Die Sunday Times is nogal heel ok, hoor...Het dit eintlik vandag vir die eerste keer beloer..

Ek is al so vir al hierdie slegte nuus.

lyk my Suid-Afrika is die slegte nuus land.

Quote Originally Posted by MyselfY9Y View Post
    Ek is al so vir al hierdie slegte nuus.

lyk my Suid-Afrika is die slegte nuus land.
    Iraqis sit together and say "Well, at least we don't live in South Africa"
    Think twice, speak once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast