Due to the growing number of usenet related threads relating to the same types of queries, and the hostility that it attracts on an open forum, the following guideline has been outlined should one have any usenet related questions.
This is an attempt to find some sort of common ground between those who feel that it should be discussed openly, and those who feel that it shouldn't. Please feel free to let me know should you feel it requires any changes to be made.
- Search the forum, there is a good chance that your question would have been answered before.
- Read the FAQ at Newshost.
- If you still cannot find the answer that you are seeking, ask about it in Newshost's forum or chat.
- If it is an urgent question, and you feel that a reply is taking too long, please PM a member on the list below. Please note that this should only be done if it is urgent, and you've tried every other avenue to find an answer without success.
- The Newshost site is independent from the news servers. One does not connect to Newshost, one connects to a news server (locally this is either SAIX or IS). The nzb file that you download from Newshost simply tells your news reader where to look for the actual files, and then downloads it via the usenet provider.
- The servers are highly congested, especially towards the end of the month. Please do not post asking if the server is down - it is probably not down, just very busy. Keep trying and eventually you will connect.
- If you are experiencing poor speeds when downloading a cached item, once again it probably means that the servers are congested. If the item is uncached, then poor speeds are normal. For an explanation concerning the differences between cached and uncached items on SAIX and IS, refer to the Newshost FAQ section.
- You cannot use a SAIX ADSL account to connect to the IS server, and vice versa. Please stop asking about this.
- Nobody knows exactly which files are cached and which are not - this is why Newshost was conceived, to help us determine what is cached by allowing people to mark items that they have downloaded as cached.
- The Newshost site was sold on 23 April 2008 to Bitfarm.
List of people to PM with regards to usenet related queries:
I'll update this post as required. Please let me know if you're willing to deal with questions via PM so that I could add you to the list above.