Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Electrician Artisan

Default Electrician Artisan

Do you guys think that it's a good idea to become an Electrician Artisan? Salary after completing 18 months of apprenticeship and the trade test would be as follows:

Basic salary: R18 000
    Monthly bonus: R2 000 (Due to a shortage of artisans)
    Overtime: x2 Per hour (4 Saturdays + 2 Sundays monthly)
    Total: +- R25 000 per month.
    Regards

Supporter of Michael Schumacher and Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Do you guys think that it's a good idea to become an Electrician Artisan? Salary after completing 18 months of apprenticeship and the trade test would be as follows:

If THIS is a fact? GO FOR IT

I know they have a mad shortage atm because everyone wants to go to university. Go for it.

It would be best if you double check that figure, my Mom had her place of work rewired completely, as in new wires for plugs, new plugs themselves, new circuit breaker everything, only the geyser and light wires weren't replaced. Total cost: R2900

And the guy worked at night time (Her practice closes @ 8pm), it took him 2 weeks, he used a grinder to create pathways in the walls for the wires to run, not the type of job I'd want to do for R2.9k.

He was also a certified electrician.

Yep it's a fact. That includes a descent (very nice) apartment and then a house (3 bedrooms, aircon) after getting married. This is of course after working for 18 months at R1900 per month, living in a container, literally. Lol.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    It would be best if you double check that figure, my Mom had her place of work rewired completely, as in new wires for plugs, new plugs themselves, new circuit breaker everything, only the geyser and light wires weren't replaced. Total cost: R2900

And the guy worked at night time (Her practice closes @ 8pm), it took him 2 weeks, he used a grinder to create pathways in the walls for the wires to run, not the type of job I'd want to do for R2.9k.

He was also a certified electrician.
    Hey Gnome. I wouldn't want it for that either. I got the figure my girlfriend's father, who works as an artisan at the same mine where I would like to work.
    Regards

I got a quote to rewire my offices... new circuit breakers etc etc etc... was in the region of R45k
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    I got a quote to rewire my offices... new circuit breakers etc etc etc... was in the region of R45k
    And if you think about that, it's not going to take ten years to do that. Once I qualify I'll do it for you at 35K. Lol.
    Regards

Well I don't know how big your offices are, my Mom's place is a veterinary practice located in a very old house, but I can get you the number, it's Pretoria & possibly Gauteng only tho.

EDIT: Err sorry just spoke to her again it was closer to R5k but still, R5k isn't much, I'm confused, that is how much the Genset ppl are asking for wiring the generator to the buildings wiring.

Well its a floor and a half of an office block... about 30 ppl.

Unfortunately I'm a perfectionist so the 45k covered isolating ALL the circuits into logical blocks, every plug point having a dedicated plug next to it.
    Designing the distribution board so that I can hook in a genny at a later date etc etc etc.

Well its a floor and a half of an office block... about 30 ppl.

Unfortunately I'm a perfectionist so the 45k covered isolating ALL the circuits into logical blocks, every plug point having a dedicated plug next to it.
    Designing the distribution board so that I can hook in a genny at a later date etc etc etc.
    Ah ok well that makes sense then Don't think this guy is that specialized, he didn't want to do the genny thing cause he said he doesn't have experience with that sort of thing.

Hate to say this... but it sounds too good to be true. Just remember, blue collar workers in ZA are seen as very eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww.. Dont you want to go do something like bean counting instead? more people will respect you :-) how about you post more info? I know there are a couple of guys that work with me that would like to get some qualifications.
    I survived MyWireless and lived to tell the tale.

I don't do things by half measures

And it usually drives the accountants mad

Smile Where can we find Aprentiship openings for electrician in Gauteng/Vanderbijlpark

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post

Grandmaster

That's some serious thread necro, dude, but here goes.

Friend of mine is an Electrician's apprentice. It's a gritty, dirty, unpleasant job. You will be treated like absolute **** for the years of your training. Your pay will be peanuts. The girls get it even worse than the guys. The exams are difficult, and you have to balance studying and classes with working hours. The toolboxes, equipment and gear is expensive and you have to buy it yourself, look after it yourself, and replace it yourself if it gets swiped or broken.

Depending on where you do your apprenticeship, you may be stuck with a nasty boss who refuses to let you go for your exams or fails you at every opportunity to keep you around as long as possible so they can have cheap labour that they can mistreat.
    I have a 4-year engineering degree. I don't have to work overtime or on weekends. I'm still a junior (I've only been permanent for a year) and I earn more than the figure quoted. Also, it's only uphill from here.

If you're interested in electrical work and such, perhaps go for Electrical or Electronic engineering instead?

That being said, she loves what she does (despite the horrific treatment, nasty working conditions, ridiculous pay and every time you fail a module you are stuck as an appy for another 6 months or a year) but she certainly cannot WAIT to finish off her time so that she can get out of there.

She works at Rotek in Germiston. Check out that area - Alberton/Germiston. There are lots of industrial areas there and factories etc that do apprenticeships for electricians.