Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Thread: ADSL Issues! Important Information

well my Billion 5102G is 4years old work perfectly with 4mbps line

Question ADSL activated but no DSL light?

Hi.
    Today I received a call telling me that my ADSL was activated and I can proceed with the self install.

Please note that i don't have a phone connected to my line, yet. Only my router (Linksys WAG320n) as I don't have any micro-filters.

However when I plug my router into the RJ11 (wall plug) my router's DSL light does not turn on.
    Does anybody have any advice?
    Do I need some other hardware?
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    This has finally been resolved
    Last edited by ShadowRider; 08-08-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: resolved
    I am here! | ..::Polygrams::..
    The rest of the universe is out there | Somewhere...

Developer of Forge Gaming Network

I want to move from the Telkom R49/GB to a better/cheaper provider. Caught with a "Closer' bundle though. Telkom do themselves no favours and still there is ultimately no choice - they make money no matter what the solution.

Default Help Please

Hi Guys

I have a 4 meg uncapped account through Afrihost. I am experiencing painfully slow speeds. It is really tough to put my finger on what is causing this as the 4 meg connection to telkom is very stable and has never dropped - see below connection stats.

DSL Information ---
    DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB023k.d21d
    DSL VPI/VCI: 8/35
    DSL Status: Showtime
    DSL Mode: G.DMT
    DSL Channel:
    DSL Upstream Rate: 512 Kbps
    DSL Downstream Rate: 4096 Kbps

Down up
    DSL Noise Margin: 27.7 dB 14.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation: 10.0 dB 5.0 dB
    DSL Transmit Power: 11.7 dBm 12.3 dBm

I am getting no more than 10 kbps dl speed which is absolutely ridiculous on a 4 meg account. I have tried a separate login with a different vendor and same result so the problem is definitely with Telkom.

I really am confused as the connection seems good.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is directed to LottaFun whose comment is found on the first page

I haven't had the best experience with MWEB so far as my connection on my 4meg ADSL Line is up and down all the time, but it is only a couple of days that I have been with them and have downloaded almost 100gig so far, only really grouchy because I am battling to log onto World of Warcraft I think LOL :P but anyway, if you are not happy with Telkom, then switch to MWEB, contact MWEB on 0860 11 22 52 and request that you want to sign up with them and do a line Migration from Telkom, process takes about 10 Days but overall it is cheaper and they are far more helpful, except that they will never call you by the looks of things you must always call them ROFL
    Last edited by Debrik; 20-04-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to say who my comment is directed at :)

Get an uncapped acount from a reseller that sells the IS Uncapped Unshaped account that only shapes/throttles your download speeds when you are in the top 50% of heavey downloaders. I average 28 mb over the 10 day rolling period (80-85 Gig per month) without ever being throttled. I get a star rating mailed to me every day and as long as you keep it at 2 stars you are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DuidelikeDave View Post
    Get an uncapped acount from a reseller that sells the IS Uncapped Unshaped account that only shapes/throttles your download speeds when you are in the top 50% of heavey downloaders. I average 28 mb over the 10 day rolling period (80-85 Gig per month) without ever being throttled. I get a star rating mailed to me every day and as long as you keep it at 2 stars you are safe.
    28mb?

howzit mate sorry i was wondering if u could have an answer for me on this ...
    Hi new to this could u guys please tell me if this info is any good ???
    Modem Status
    Connection Status Connected
    Us Rate (Kbps) 512
    Ds Rate (Kbps) 3066
    US Margin 11
    DS Margin 22
    Trained Modulation ADSL_2plus
    LOS Errors 0
    DS Line Attenuation 38
    US Line Attenuation 23
    Peak Cell Rate 1207 cells per sec
    CRC Rx Fast 0
    CRC Tx Fast 0
    CRC Rx Interleaved 0
    CRC Tx Interleaved 0
    Path Mode Fast Path

also on my isp side i have a 4meg uncapped services but on telkom i have a 3meg connection but telkom says on there system im paying for a 4meg line should i drop it to 3meg on telkom side and will it make my downloads more stable . they seem to be jumping from 10kb/s - 280kb/s they are all over the place??

ADSL is pretty good. But i have no idea about it. I have not enough knowledge about it so i can't discuss about it any more..

Thanks...!

Thing is, i need SPEED....with a cap of at LEAST 20Gig....thats why i stay at "capped"...but do i GET my speed at WebAfrica?....NOOOOO
    We "might" know a lot, but we don't know everything...

Telkom can supply you with voice and data line (adsl) so you get telephone number and on the same number you can connect and browse internet

QUOTE=jonathan2340;7730369]ADSL is pretty good. But i have no idea about it. I have not enough knowledge about it so i can't discuss about it any more..

Thanks...![/QUOTE]

Is ADSL really fast?

PhotoMerchant
    Wizard Pools

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by makaylaligar View Post
    Is ADSL really fast?

PhotoMerchant
    Wizard Pools
    RAS

Talking You can do it this way

Quote Originally Posted by lsuacner View Post
    How do I determine line quality?

Status
    Modem Status Showtime
    Mode Selected G992_1_A
    DMT Framing Mode G.DMT Framing Mode 3
    Trellis-Coded Modulation Enable
    Latency Type Fast

Rate
    Downstream Upstream
    Data Rate 4096 kbps 512 kbps
    Maximum Attainable Data Rate(ATTNDR) 0 kbps 0 kbps

Information
    Downstream Upstream
    Line Attenuation(LATN) 34.5 dB 22.0 dB
    Signal Attenuation(SATN) 0.0 dB 0.0 dB
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio Margin(SNRM) 14.5 dB 12.0 dB
    Actual Aggregate Transmit Power (ACATP) 0.0 dB 0.0 dB

Performance
    Near End Far End
    Superframe 3795768
    LOS Failure 0 0
    LOF Failure 0 0
    LPR Failure 0 0
    RFI Failure 0 0
    NCD Failure 0 0
    LCD Failure 0 0
    CRC 1779 0
    RS Correction 0 0
    Forward Error Correction Seconds(FECS-L) 0 0
    Errored Second(ES-L) 1220 0
    Serverely Errored Seconds(SES-L) 0 0
    Loss of Signal Seconds(LOSS-L) 0 0
    Unavailable Seconds(UAS-L) 20 0
    HEC Error 1123 0
    Hi. An easy way to test your connection is by using pingtest.net This will measure your connection quality by packetloss, ping time, and jitter. At the end you will get the result with a classification of your line. A is best. Take care, Ray from Nordcom ADSL Norge.

Some ISP's will take on fault reporting for you. You need to move your line over to the ISP and then never have to sit and listen to that music again ! The faults are escalated and usually at least get some real attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by LottaFun View Post
    On average over the past 6 months, my adsl has been down 10 days out of every 30. I have called them. I have logged calls via Telkom website. I have been to the Telkom shop close to us. My problem still exist.

What else can I do? Where can I log a complaint at Telkom?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast