Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Helmet Law

Default Motorcycle Helmet Law

Hi Guys

Does anyone here know what the specific laws are relating to motorcycle helmets? Spoke to a guy this morning who mentioned that your ears have to bee covered.

Does anyone have some links that says exactly what your helmet has to have?

The helmet has to be approved by the SABS, and only approved helmets should be on sale.

What criteria SABS use, I don't know, but I'd guess it has more to do with impact testing than how much of your head is covered.

Grandmaster

Yes, AFAIK your ears do have to be covered...
    Helmets like Harley Davidson bikers like wearing (so called "piss pots" ) are not really legal AFAIK..

I have a couple of "traditional" Vespa helmets that I wore for ages, never had a cop complaining about them.. - they do have ear covers but they're just simple leather flaps...

Damnit! I wanna wear my pisspot!!! I want someone to show me where in the legal system it says what rules there are relating to helmets. A traffic officer pulling me over and telling me I can't wear it isn't good enough...

Just remember that in the event of a crash I think as much as 80% of all spills when wearing non full faced helmets end in horrible jaw injuries.
    I am blogging my life. One video everyday for a year! http://www.youtube.com/user/creativeslime

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMadMan View Post
    Just remember that in the event of a crash I think as much as 80% of all spills when wearing non full faced helmets end in horrible jaw injuries.
    Ditto.

A pisspot might look cool, but I don't want to take any chances, and will wear a full-face helmet.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT

Daily commute = full face. Long trips on empty roads = pisspot.

Coming from someone who has had a broken neck from head butting the road at 180. Get a good brand name full-face helmet... ...and always use it.

and NEVER EVER try to ramp a traffic circle...
    I hate everything

Super Grandmaster

Nothing looks cooler than a good full-face helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    Nothing looks cooler than a good full-face helmet.
    I particularly liked my Simpson Helmet. said "f$$K Fear" on the back only with less $'s .

Black Simpson with tinted visor is el sombre Darth Rider!!!
    I hate everything

Nothing cooler than riding on an open road with a pisspot, bandana over the mouth and a pair of shades, doing no more than 130... That said, I got this: http://www.powersports4less.com/deta...=WPS%2072-5212

Haha! Russ, some dude totalled his bike on a circle around the corner from me just the other night. It's stupid to "open up" in a heavily populated area, especially if you've had a few! Some people just need to learn the hard way...

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnity View Post
    Nothing cooler than riding on an open road with a pisspot, bandana over the mouth and a pair of shades, doing no more than 130... That said, I got this: http://www.powersports4less.com/deta...=WPS%2072-5212

Haha! Russ, some dude totalled his bike on a circle around the corner from me just the other night. It's stupid to "open up" in a heavily populated area, especially if you've had a few! Some people just need to learn the hard way...
    eheh. aint funny man, stung like hell. hehe. I also like riding without a helmet but even the risk of a low speed crash can kill you. I wont put a bike in first without strapping on a good lid.
    I hate everything

http://www.motoemporium.com/kbc/kbcv2/vr2reaper.html

Latest addition to my helmet shelf. Love it. Most comfy helmet I have found in some time.
    I hate everything

http://www.flamesonmytank.co.za/helmets.htm - Check the diagram at the bottom of the page.

I've met tar 3 times in my riding life - 2 were slides where the helmet never touched down, the third was impact centric and the helmet was the first and main thing to hit the road. Anything less than a full face not only would not have protected me, but probably would have done damage to me.

And if you wear a full face (or any other helmet for that matter), for goodness sakes please fasten it properly. Not so long ago I stopped with a medic friend of mine on the way home at the scene of an accident to attend to a biker down. He hadn't fastened the helmet and it got ripped off his head and went rolling down the road. On inspecting the helmet (full face) I observed that the helmet was performing as designed until it got ripped off. It had taken the impact correctly and was functioning as planned during the time his head was sliding on the ground (until it popped off his head). Needless to say they had head trauma from the incident.

The loss of the helmet is probably what did the most damage to them, followed by the damage done due to no riding jacket, gloves, pants and boots - pretty much in that order. And just FYI - that was from getting bumped off a Jonway 125cc. Start increasing the size and speed of the bike and you'll understand the term "all the gear all the time".

It may be hot as Hades with it on (especially in Durbs) but if you don't wear it, you're taking a chance. I'll admit that I have ridden with less gear than I should on a handful of occasions, but I always felt uncomfortable and nervous with it and knew I would deserve what happened to me if something went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnity View Post
    Does anyone have some links that says exactly what your helmet has to have?
    All the law states is this:

Quoted from: http://www.transport.gov.za/library/...oadregs00.html

Compulsory wearing of protective helmet in respect of motor cycle

207. (1) No person shall drive or be a passenger on a motor cycle, motor tricycle or a motor quadrucycle, or be a passenger in the side-car attached to a motor cycle, on a public road, unless he or she is wearing a protective helmet--

which is specially designed for use in connection with such cycle; and
    which fits him or her properly and of which the chin strap is properly fastened under the chin.
    (2) The driver of a motor cycle, motor tricycle or motor quadrucycle shall ensure that any passenger in or on such cycle who is younger than 14 years, complies with the provisions of subregulation (1).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast