Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: USA concerned over Chinese military spending

Default USA concerned over Chinese military spending

The USA is very unhappy that China has just announced a 17 percent rise in military expenditure for the coming year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7277382.stm

Yeah riiiight! Look at the USA's military budget compared to those of other countries. BTW, these figures EXCLUDES the cost of their adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan:

http://www.globalfirepower.com/list_mil_exp.asp

Bunch of hypocrites!

I would rather not have china up there.
    =====
    If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down. What if they screamed all the time for no reason?
    =====

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMonkey View Post
    what would USA and China ever need to fight over?
    Oil.

Energy.

The stuff that makes the world go round.

Is this the start of a new cold war?

I'll bet my bottom dollar it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Piepalook
    Is this the start of a new cold war?

I'll bet my bottom dollar it is.
    I doubt they'll do the entire "my nuke is bigger than yours" thing again. But they are ideologically opposites.

But I think the US has reason to be scared. Their economy is screwed and their military is overstretched. China on the other hand is pumping atm.
    Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    I doubt they'll do the entire "my nuke is bigger than yours" thing again. But they are ideologically opposites.

But I think the US has reason to be scared. Their economy is screwed and their military is overstretched. China on the other hand is pumping atm.
    Two weeks ago the U.S.A shot down a malfunctioning satellite.
    Only to show the Chinese that it is not only the Chinese that is able to do this.

"I have something better than you!"

This is what is happening.

It started.

I can understand that the U.S.A is concerned.
    America cannot afford to spend more on it's military, as you rightly stated.
    The Chinese can.
    And they will.

Blog Entries

I am concerned about US Military spending. What are they trying to do? Especially considering that Al Qaeda doesn't exist.
    List of Websites you can Access with Local Cap - locallist.co.za
    Help Us Expand the Local Internet - Learn How

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Piepalook View Post
    Only to show the Chinese that it is not only the Chinese that is able to do this.

"I have something better than you!"

This is what is happening.

It started.

I can understand that the U.S.A is concerned.
    America cannot afford to spend more on it's military, as you rightly stated.
    The Chinese can.
    And they will.
    No, it was just a way of weaponizing space. Unless you haven't noticed that is the next step.
    List of Websites you can Access with Local Cap - locallist.co.za
    Help Us Expand the Local Internet - Learn How

The impression that I get from them is that only the US is allowed to prosper and protect themselves. As an economy grows it is bound to start spending more as well.

If we take a look at our personal lives - as we start earning more, we spend more on better things - houses, cars, security etc. How is this any different to a country?

It's odd how they don't mention anything about China spending more on it's infrastructure, but they've instead fixated on China's military budget.
    Procrastination is like masturbation. It may feel good at first, but when you look at the task at hand, you're actually screwing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Piepalook
    They don't need to show the Chinese anything. They shot down a satellite in freaking 1985.
    Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    They don't need to show the Chinese anything. They shot down a satellite in freaking 1985.
    The Chinese showed them how gunpowder works.

The Chinese had it in 850 AD.
    We only had spears, knobkieries,bow and arrow.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMonkey View Post
    certainly not, oil alternatives are catching on quickly, renewable and alternative energy sources are too.

the only possible war for the two is a space race or mars or something, i doubt it, but china does need alot of land

the chineese people are usually only greedy, opportunistic, cheating people, but also lately progressive people though.

I think china could be a very good friend for USA, i am not sure about space though. but I doubt their will be many problems
    Chinese military is very poor. They have no blue water navy capabilities
    (the JSDF Navy could take whatever they have out within hours)
    and while they have a huge standing army they have no way of getting them anywhere. They do have a sizeable arsenal of nukes though but nowhere near as big as the US or the Russian one.

If anyone should be concerned it's Russia. A Chino-Russian war can develop very quickly over resources. I'm sure it will happen.
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Piepalook View Post
    The Chinese showed them how gunpowder works.

The Chinese had it in 850 AD.
    We only had spears, knobkieries,bow and arrow.
    Yes it did them a fat lot of good against the Mongols. Ancient firearm use was very limited and quite ineffectual
    until the time of the flintlock musket (virtually modern times). The Mongols subdued China, much of Europe and the Middle East.
    Last edited by PeterCH; 04-03-2008 at 11:41 PM.
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    Chinese military is very poor. They have no blue water navy capabilities
    (the JSDF Navy could take whatever they have out within hours)
    and while they have a huge standing army they have no way of getting them anywhere. They do have a sizeable arsenal of nukes though but nowhere near as big as the US or the Russian one.

If anyone should be concerned it's Russia. A Chino-Russian war can develop very quickly over resources. I'm sure it will happen.
    China needs energy.
    The Americans controls most of the worlds oil supply.
    Don't you think conflict may arise there?

I agree with you on the chino-russian war.It seems to be more likely.

There are Chinese attempts to venture into Africa economically.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongTurd View Post
    The USA is very unhappy that China has just announced a 17 percent rise in military expenditure for the coming year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7277382.stm

Yeah riiiight! Look at the USA's military budget compared to those of other countries. BTW, these figures EXCLUDES the cost of their adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan:

http://www.globalfirepower.com/list_mil_exp.asp

Bunch of hypocrites!
    Yeh! Go China!

Just remember, China has a lot more borders with countries that have "stan" at the end, IOW, more borders to protect from fundamentalist, and they have been fighting fundamentalists in the Northwest provinces for a long time.

Islam in China:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_China

Article from 2000:
    http://www.hrw.org/press/2000/11/xinjiang1113-bck.htm

China's unknown War, since the end of the Russian Afghan conflict:
    http://www.ndu.edu/inss/Press/jfq_pa...ons/i47/09.pdf
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    I was just about to say this. If anyone is sweating this announcement its Russia and more specifically the generals and soldiers stationed in Siberia

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast