Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sentech W-DSL offering?

Default Sentech W-DSL offering?

I believe Sentech will be rolling out their Wireless DSL offering in November 2003 in competition to Telkom fixed DSL. They are now piloting nationwide.

They will apparently be able to offer 256k upstream and almost 2MB downstream. International bandwidth (a fat pipe) will be supplied through Grintek.

I heard also it will be a little cheaper than Telkom DSL, but we'll wait and see.

Does anyone have updated info?

There is no such thing as wireless DSL. DSL = digital subscriber line

Call it what you want (eg WAN,MAN), its competition to Telkom DSL!!

>>There is no such thing as wireless DSL. DSL = digital subscriber >>line

I believe that Sentech will indeed be launching a Broadband Wireless product in November. Initital roll out in Jhb-Midrand-Pta, CT and DBN. 521Kb bandwidth on transparent contention (i.e. they tell you what the contention ratio is) to the Net. i.e. bandwidth and contention do not end at your access point. NO cap on throughput. Not sure where Grintek comes into the equation though.

Does ne1 have a sentech contact person, where we can get more info
    and actually pre-order ? ;) anything is better than telkom.

I didnt notice anything about this on their website teh last time i
    checked. I am sure plenty of us would like some information. I
    am buying a new house 1st November so i will be looking at some
    bandwitdth to go along with my ISDN128k (wonder how long i will
    have to wait for installation this time. my 3rd isdn installation in
    4 years [}:)] )

If you dont want to make it tooo public, plz mail me some details,
    i will keep it discreet.. [|)] brendon@silvertubes.co.za

Hi guys

I just got off the phone with Sentech, and they will launch two services soon. The first one is VSat, which can be expected in the next few weeks. The other is a Broadband Wireless connection that will be available towards the end of this year. They have their own international links, and we might see some competition and better services.

Regards,

RPM
    rpm@myadsl.co.za

I'm just wondering... Doesn't this fall under communications and hence Telkom's jurisdiction? How are they doing this legally?

100% legal under the two licenses issued to Sentech a year ago. Carrier of carrier and multimedia license.

Sentech currently offer VSAT services. The new products to be launched are packaged products. The first of these to be launched 26/8/2003 is not really a consumer product but seems to be targeted more at the SOHO SMME markets and will probably sell for around 3K p/m. Variations of this product might become available at a later stage with a bi-directional satellite product potentially aimed at consumers out of range of Broadband Wireless coverage.

Their servie offerings are definitely legal...just checked ICASA website...go to www.icasa.org.za and follow links telecommunications,licence,licencees and Sentech ...the government gazetted licences are in pdf form.

What are the chances of getting somebody from sentech to make some type of pre-release announcement of there offerings here and maybe even some specials to take adsl customers away from telkom???

Come somebody make this happen??

Hi Checkfirst

I have already contacted them, and but unfortunately the person in charge of these services was not there. I will speak to them tomorrow.

Regards,

RPM
    rpm@myadsl.co.za

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Maybe if they knew how many people are willing to convert instantly once they start up their service and they know what the size of the market is, they will launch this at their soonest. 4000 ADSL users @ R700 per month=R2,800,000 waiting without too much of a marketing effort other than providing a proper service. I am sure that many more people would jump on the bandwagon(on the waitlist at Telkom or scared off by the current bad service. Please hurry up and offer a proper service-my hands are itching to sign on and wave goodbye to the Telkom bunch

It seems we should not get our hopes to high.

I quote from the BASPNET discussion (I paste, since you need to register there to read).

It is Sentech which are refered to:
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    I met with them a few weeks ago and so far I am not impressed with the wireless and 2-way satellite offer. Looks a lot like Telkom's marketing department has moved to Sentech.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Their attitude was to charge for time online and/or usage along with a fee that was similar to Telkom's ADSL fee. They could not give much information since it was not finalized and the rep did not have a lot of details. I did express my concern for the Telkom like tactics with how they were planning on charging for the service. I told them that most people would be happy with 64k always on and no CAP over 512k and limitations and/or additional charges. people want flat prices so they can budget for their use and not worry if they will get an R10k bill at the end of the month.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">That is why I voiced my opinion to the rep. SA does not need another worthless solution.. You have to remember that Sentech is another one of the protected companies in SA. The license that ICASA issued to them is only available by invitation from the Minister of Communications. About the only thing they can't do is provide voice over the connections<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well lads that is tipical sob story for state of SA internet.As soon as someone offer inovativ solution those bastards from goverment/telkom shut it down or buy it out.Bunch of fat[}:)] F#$#% lusers.

We need to join forces and vote for more bandwith and death penalty!!!

In the interim give those guys from Arter turbo a try, it works qute shweet, i dont buy all that hipe about masive speeds but it does wok faster than normal connection.

Till we get libarated form rich corporate shareholders of telkom and likes.....

Hack tehe planet :))=-
    DblD
    [}:)]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast