I read with interest the rants and raves on the DSL line speeds. So far I have also had the good old mixed experience. Recently had to pull down an ISO image of 650MB. Well I decided to let it run overnight. I guess I hit the 3GB bar or received a forced IP address change, as I lost the session some time during the night. The nest morning I restarted the session and received incredible speed... Only to see how it tapers off from 07h30 to 08h15 where is became totally unacceptable. So yes I have to agree with most of the posts, the speeds available are to varied to be acceptable, and as a user community we should insist on some form of service level that provides a service that is superior to a PSTN modem of ISDN, especially if we measure our service pricing model with others.

My last area of concern it the amount of noise on the 165.165 subnets. I am now more that ever convinced that the average Internet user is totally ignorant when it comes to what they are exposing themselves to. This little ABSA incident is just one more example of how doff some people are in that they thing it was a hack and not an identity theft. Still most of the users that I see on the ADSL is broadcasting NetBios services, advertising open FTP, Telnet and Webserver ports. Ethically I will not step up and browse these goodies, but at some point a worm or some nasty will rear it's head and start gorging itself. What I would like to see is that Telkom ADSL (well the other ISP's can step up to the plat too, but hey I nearly got fired when I challenged IS on that!) starts filtering a little of the traffic, as all of those little bits of gemors is also counting towards the 3GB c(R)ap. Basic ingress filtering on the routers will help, and implementing some form of intrusion detection system will add a lot of value, and could even deter the casual network probe or scan for open ports to abuse another system. Will the community pay extra for a clean pipe? Logic says yes, especially if it will reduce the latency, increase the throughput, as was proven in some studies by between 15 and 30%, so yes a premium of 10% for such a service will be acceptable.

Hey I am now digging into the space of my pet hate - needling the ISP's. They have the most pathetic excuses when challenged with these points, but if I can succeed in converting one of you in also asking for a clean pipe, I have done well. For now I use the ADSL till I get to the cap, then the kids can have it for the other 20 days...