Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Floor skirtings

Default Floor skirtings

Has any of you ever replaced the floor skirtings in your house? We have the normal woorden ones and I would love to replace them with white ones.

Any idea of cost or a good business that does this?

Why dont you just paint them white?
    Last edited by bwana; 15-04-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: rephrased
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Why dont you just paint them white?
    You get white ones that aren't wooden and look a whole lot better than doing a DIY paintjob. I'm not sure what they're made of though..

Quote Originally Posted by feo View Post
    You get white ones that aren't wooden and look a whole lot better than doing a DIY paintjob. I'm not sure what they're made of though..
    Dont knock a DIY paint job. If you do it properly they'll look great. I pulled mine off (as we were plastering the walls at the time anyway) sanded them off painted some and varnished other and they looked like new.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Dont knock a DIY paint job. If you do it properly they'll look great. I pulled mine off (as we were plastering the walls at the time anyway) sanded them off painted some and varnished other and they looked like new.
    Well I guess it depends if you know what you're doing or not. To me, just picturing a self-painted wooden skirting doesn't really scream "quality". The OP could probably try it with a small piece of skirting and see if comes out OK.

My brother just redid his whole house (he extended his front room) and painted them white, but bought pinewood ones and paint them white, it was a job and a half but it finally paid off. Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by feo View Post
    Well I guess it depends if you know what you're doing or not. To me, just picturing a self-painted wooden skirting doesn't really scream "quality". The OP could probably try it with a small piece of skirting and see if comes out OK.
    "The OP" knows jack***** about DIY so she wants to rather replace it

I'd never paint the skirtings in my house... ever... at least not in anything other than varnish. Then again I do have 40yr old Meranti skirtings and they look absolutely stunning with the Meranti flooring
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

White or natural skirtings depends on the style of your house.

Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    White or natural skirtings depends on the style of your house.

I know, that is one of my concerns - will it fit in or not? I live in one of those old Jhb flats - about 30 years old and the rooms are huge, big windows and very sunny. My guess was that it would fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by blunomore View Post
    I know, that is one of my concerns - will it fit in or not? I live in one of those old Jhb flats - about 30 years old and the rooms are huge, big windows and very sunny. My guess was that it would fit in.
    Depends on what colour your walls are and what type of flooring you have.
    If you paint your wall say white_yellow and you have a say oak flooring then white skirtings would look very classy.

@blunomore
    I checked a photo you posted on the forum and you have white tiled floor and a white wall.The skirtings will look great white, it will make the room come alive, just paint the wall other the white, it will transform the whole outlook of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    @blunomore
    I checked a photo you posted on the forum and you have white tiled floor and a white wall.The skirtings will look great white, it will make the room come alive, just paint the wall other the white, it will transform the whole outlook of the room.
    Thanks !!!

Jusr xplain to me what you meant when you said "just paint the wall other the white" ?

+1

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    I'd never paint the skirtings in my house... ever... at least not in anything other than varnish. Then again I do have 40yr old Meranti skirtings and they look absolutely stunning with the Meranti flooring
    "In fact, the weirdest thing just happened - I broke wind, and as a result felt so dizzy I nearly fell from my chair. That cannot be normal." -Copacetic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast