Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hardy Heron Making Linux Ready for the Masses?

Blog Entries

Default Hardy Heron Making Linux Ready for the Masses?

"Is Linux ready for the masses? Is Linux really being targeted towards the 'casual computer user'? Computerworld thinks we're getting there, talking of Linux 'going mainstream 'with Ubuntu. 'If there is a single complaint that is laid at the feet of Linux time and time again, it's that the operating system is too complicated and arcane for casual computer users to tolerate. You can't ask newbies to install device drivers or recompile the kernel, naysayers argue. Of course, many of those criticisms date back to the bad old days, but Ubuntu, the user-friendly distribution sponsored by Mark Shuttleworth's Canonical Ltd., has made a mission out of dispelling such complaints entirely.'"
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

Anyone who tells you Linux is hard to install or use has clearly not seen Ubuntu lately.
    Last edited by ghoti; 17-04-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks", Winston Churchill.

Honestly, this comment has been bandied about with just about every distro.

People have to change in order for OSS to be embraced in in its entirety.
    I think we sell ourselves short accepting the k@k we do from the likes of MS (Vista ...*spit*), people are conditioned to believe its just easier to pay the money than to figure it out yourself.

It will require a paradigm shift for 'the masses' to adopt OSS solutions.

The real question is: are the masses ready for Linux?

Well i cant wait for the 24th to upgrade my 7.10

People will always be resistant to change, I remember when I went from dos to win95, and absolutely loathed this newfangled os. In dos, I could flippen put my games where I wanted, now an uppity OS, wanted to install everything on its own, and in some new fangled things called "folders"!!

One of the advantages Winodws has is that the majority of people typically don't have to install it. Thus Linux is on the back foot in that people have to take an active step to put it onto their desktop. From my experiences it is no more harder of easier to install than Windows.

Although I suppose installing from a LiveCD (which is something I don't do for any distro), makes it much easier than Windows given (I assume) that you have access to the Internet at the same time.

Being that as it may, Ubuntu installs are no different from Fedora, SUSE or Debian installs in my experience.
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

Quote Originally Posted by milomak View Post
    One of the advantages Winodws has is that the majority of people typically don't have to install it. Thus Linux is on the back foot in that people have to take an active step to put it onto their desktop.
    As the argument goes (and I for one agree with it) having the choice of what to install and doing it yourself is empowering, not to mention the financial aspect. I'd say that my new laptop would have been in the region of 3k less expensive had it not had Vista pre-installed. I'd have trotted off to the local toaster burnt a copy of the latest distro and Robert would have been my mothers brother

Quote Originally Posted by SlinkyMike View Post
    The real question is: are the masses ready for Linux?
    QFT.

That is exactly what I was going to post. (Except for gaming) linux is easier, more efficient, and more secure. And obviously cheaper.

Its just hard for people to consider breaking out of their comfort zones. Although IMO, the biggest obstacle is still the fact that you will struggle to buy a computer without windows pre-installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkomisaloser View Post
    I must get banned
    <!--

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiskop View Post
    QFT.

That is exactly what I was going to post. (Except for gaming) linux is easier, more efficient, and more secure. And obviously cheaper.

Its just hard for people to consider breaking out of their comfort zones. Although IMO, the biggest obstacle is still the fact that you will struggle to buy a computer without windows pre-installed.
    Yeah, its sad that the market is so badly manipulated by Microsoft ... and people dont know any better.
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks", Winston Churchill.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by w1z4rd View Post
    Yeah, its sad that the market is so badly manipulated by Microsoft ... and people dont know any better.
    It is less about manipulation than it is about support. There are so many variations in Linux, how could a retailer offer support for them. They would have to stick to one distro. Even then, imagine all the calls from users requiring support. If I had trouble re-installing imagine how hot the supprt line would get!!

The technicians would all require training in Windows and Linux.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    It is less about manipulation than it is about support. There are so many variations in Linux, how could a retailer offer support for them. They would have to stick to one distro. Even then, imagine all the calls from users requiring support. If I had trouble re-installing imagine how hot the supprt line would get!!

Are the different distros really all that different with regards to support. In my experience (limited as it may be), if you can configure devices using the command line in distro A, the same procedure will work for distro B,C etc. 99% of the time. I only run into trouble when I need to use GUI tools, because those vary from distro to distro. If your techie knows linux shell commands well, he/she should be able to support multiple distros.

Blog Entries

Our linux stalker Skeptik, one day when you have a real point and an informed opinion I will respond to you.. but right now you are stalking and trolling in this section like you did in the VC section. Enjoy!
    Last edited by ghoti; 17-04-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orin76 View Post
    Are the different distros really all that different with regards to support. In my experience (limited as it may be), if you can configure devices using the command line in distro A, the same procedure will work for distro B,C etc. 99% of the time. I only run into trouble when I need to use GUI tools, because those vary from distro to distro. If your techie knows linux shell commands well, he/she should be able to support multiple distros.
    95%+ of solutions for a distro will work for another. I would like to think having used SUSE, Mandriva, Fedora, ()ubuntu and Debian that I can make such a statement. And where there are differences, they are minor and can be resolved pretty easily and quickly in my experience.

agree with the command line statement as well.
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

True, support is a burgeoning market for Linux enthusiasts but this is solely in the business sphere.

Certainly, you cannot be arguing that Microsoft has good support for home users?
    Ubuntuforums is all I have ever needed to sort out kinks with my Linux boxes. to this day I have issues with my Windows machines that I have resigned myself to whining about, secure in the knowledge they will never be fixed (yes, I did just install Vista SP1 before you ask ).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by w1z4rd View Post
    Our linux stalker Skeptik, one day when you have a real point and an informed opinion I will respond to you.. but right now you are stalking and trolling in this section like you did in the VC section. Enjoy!
    Oh, another attack the person reply.

I predict that as with many UBUNTU releases, with this Hardy Heron carp you won't notice much difference at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlinkyMike View Post
    True, support is a burgeoning market for Linux enthusiasts but this is solely in the business sphere.

Certainly, you cannot be arguing that Microsoft has good support for home users?
    Ubuntuforums is all I have ever needed to sort out kinks with my Linux boxes. to this day I have issues with my Windows machines that I have resigned myself to whining about, secure in the knowledge they will never be fixed (yes, I did just install Vista SP1 before you ask ).
    I have never got a single bit of support from MS... like ever, and I have being using MS since Windows 3.0 days... no wait, I was using DOS3 as well. I imagine something like windowsforums.org would be a colossal failure if it was supported by microsoft as the complaints would be endless.

I love my new supported system

I am really excited about this new version of Ubuntu... but imagine where it is going to be next year!!! w00t!

...some of the new tweaks sound really useful - pausing copy / move operations is a totally new functionality AFAIK.

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast