Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Telkom claims viral destruction of fast email

Grandmaster

Default Telkom claims viral destruction of fast email

Dis nie Telkom se skuld dat daar soveel idiote is wat virusse rondstuur dat hulle bedieners faal nie.

Slow Telkom blames virus attack

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/internet/2003/0310011222.asp?O=FPT

BY WARWICK ASHFORD, ITWEB JOURNALIST

[Johannesburg, 1 October 2003] - Telkom has responded to a barrage of complaints about slow e-mail delivery by firmly blaming a recent e-mail virus attack.

Customers are up in arms about delays of up to four hours during the past two weeks, but Telkom says the explanation is simple. “Telkom provides a free virus scan service, but for every infected e-mail that's received, another e-mail has to be sent out notifying the sender and intended recipient,” says corporate communications senior manager Hans van de Groenendaal. “This generates an extremely high flow of e-mail, which has caused the delays.”

Van de Groenendaal says the e-mail virus attack has affected all Internet service providers that offer an e-mail scanning service, not Telkom alone. He says the recent virus attack has prompted Telkom to upgrade the mail storage configuration.

“We are copying current mailboxes to upgraded mailboxes,” says Van de Groenendaal. “In the next three days we should have a vast improvement in mail delivery.”

“<i><font color="blue">Telkom provides a free virus scan service, but for every infected e-mail that's received, another e-mail has to be sent out notifying the sender and intended recipient,” says corporate communications senior manager Hans van de Groenendaal. “This generates an extremely high flow of e-mail, which has caused the delays</font id="blue"></i>.”

Ag shame - "now we can expect to pay for a compulsory virus scan service".

BleatKom - are they vulnerable to a DoS ah-tack ???

Wow! It's a world first!

Anybody wonder why this doesn't happen to any other service which does virus scans...

Grandmaster

I don't keep stats, but my gut tells me that I received much less virus warnings the past few days from my office mail server than last week.

And I don't use Telkoms virus scanning mail servers for my incoming mail.

Telkom's explantion on why their mail servers are overloaded right now does not tie up with my undocumented experience.

But then they will have their stats, and me not. Pity

Thats just typical of them, they blame the problems on everything else - I'd like to see, just for once in my life, telkom actually admit and take the blame for their ***** service - wishful thinking eh?

Is this like MyBB's first thread?
    Last edited by wpswart006; 15-06-2010 at 06:42 PM.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bwahahaha

FAIL.

Can understand if they want to notify the sender of the infected attachment, but why notify the intended recipient as well?
    Last edited by The_Librarian; 15-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.