Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Linux Newbie: Windows substitute software

  1. #1

    Question Linux Newbie: Windows substitute software

    Hi,

    I've recently installed a copy of Ubuntu and was wondering
    which apps to look at, that would more or less perform
    the same functions as those I used in Windows.
    I'm looking for something to replace my:
    Mp3 player - Winamp and
    Video player - BSBlayer, Media Player Classic...with codecs.

    PS. Which app is used to get them small widget-like icon at the botom of your task-bar.

    Your help would be mostly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    mp3 player - try vlc / amarok
    videoplayer - vlc / mplayer / xine / kaffeine

    all of them available with sudo apt-get install [nameofapp]
    Think twice, speak once.
    ANC - outfailing itself year after year
    ESKOM - Eish, Sorry Krag Opge*** - Maintenance

  3. #3
    SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Looking for lost treasures in Barad-Dr
    Posts
    81,592
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default

    MP3 player = Amarok (the best)
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

    Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

  4. #4

    Default

    When Quickbooks move to Linux, might try Ubuntu again on work pc's...

  5. #5

    Default

    no use using kaffeine. it uses the Xine engine. just install xine and its gui. also, amarok is the best media player across all OS's.
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

    This Froot is no longer available.....

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moederloos View Post
    mp3 player - try vlc / amarok
    videoplayer - vlc / mplayer / xine / kaffeine

    all of them available with sudo apt-get install [nameofapp]
    Thanks alot for that.

    Sorry need to be sure on something.
    The command "sudo apt-get install" , that'll be run in "terminal" right?

    Anything else i need to look at, there's just so much out there.
    I'm a newbie to the world of Linux but noob in Windows, so I 'm dying to break some stuff...just need a solid starting point.
    Either way, I'm really impressed with it.

    Thanks again.

  7. #7

    Default

    Yeah it's in terminal.
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

    This Froot is no longer available.....

  8. #8
    Super Grandmaster chiskop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kensington, JHB
    Posts
    9,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madtza View Post
    Thanks alot for that.

    Sorry need to be sure on something.
    The command "sudo apt-get install" , that'll be run in "terminal" right?

    Anything else i need to look at, there's just so much out there.
    I'm a newbie to the world of Linux but noob in Windows, so I 'm dying to break some stuff...just need a solid starting point.
    Either way, I'm really impressed with it.

    Thanks again.
    Yeah, in the terminal - but you might prefer to open synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager), search for the packages, and install from there. Its the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkomisaloser View Post
    I must get banned
    <!--

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiskop View Post
    Yeah, in the terminal - but you might prefer to open synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager), search for the packages, and install from there. Its the same thing.
    Yeah, as a noob you should rather go for Synaptic/Adept instead of jumping into the console.
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

    This Froot is no longer available.....

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    Yeah, as a noob you should rather go for Synaptic/Adept instead of jumping into the console.
    NO!!!!!

    Go terminal Feel the POWER!!!
    Why yes, my one eye is bigger than the other. Thanks for pointing that out.

  11. #11

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMailMan View Post
    NO!!!!!

    Go terminal Feel the POWER!!!
    LOL!!! Maybe I should, actually meant to say noob in Linux not windows. Oopsie!!!

  13. #13
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Willow Glen, Pretoria
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator.

    That's the dock at the bottom of the screen. Then you run it from Applications -> Accessories

    You won't be sorry

  14. #14

    Default

    Okay, yeah, terminal is fun when when you start. But if you don't know any of the packages' names (full names), it gets a little hard.
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

    This Froot is no longer available.....

  15. #15
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    /\/\/\...x...~~~~~
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    Okay, yeah, terminal is fun when when you start. But if you don't know any of the packages' names (full names), it gets a little hard.
    Code:
    apt-cache search <part of package name>

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •