Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Conflict of interest?

Default Conflict of interest?

Hello

Something that's been bothering me about MyADSL is that I know absolutely nothing about the more 'senior' members. As someone fairly new to ADSL some of the decisions I make regarding equipment, ISP's, ASDL vs wireless/satelite, etc, will very likely be influenced by the opinions expressed on this site.

Since these decisions will directly affect my pocket, I would like to know what experience and or qualifications these opinions are based on. I realise that this is an open and anonymous forum, and that giving away too much about your identity may have serious consequences for some people, but I'm not looking for DNA samples.

If someone is trashing Telkom just because they're a disgruntled ex-employee, I'd like to know about. If someone is 'pushing' Sentech or MegaLan or xxx or yyy, and they turn out to be shareholders, I'd like to know about it. If someone says Marconi modems are crappy Indian black market imports, and they happen to be a Netgear sales rep, I'd like to know about it. Any suggestion of conflict of interest, I'd like to know about it.

Likewise, if someone has 20 years experience in the telecoms industry, I'd like to know about it.

Looking at member profiles doesn't give you much.

This is particularly aimed at our administrators and moderators. Anyone feel like volunteering some useful info about yourself?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that these forums are being abused by evil people with dodgy motives. On the contrary.

I'm just saying, It would be nice to know...

Chez

Hi ChezAnwyne

Thanks for the posting.

You have very relevant concerns regarding a site of this nature. I can assure you that none of the administrators or moderators has a vested interest other than improving the ADSL service in South Africa. We do not allow any form of advertising on the site in order to push this issue even further. We have had many lucrative offers, but rejected all of them in order to keep this site objective and focused on ADSL.

The moderators are kind enough to give their time and knowledge in order to make MyADSL a professional environment. I can again guarantee you that they do not have any other agenda than trying to improve MyADSL. I guarantee anonymity on this forum for obvious reasons, and I would appreciate it if the moderators or any other members are not quizzed about their identities. As for myself, I opened this site because of the poor ADSL service, and no other reason. I am nearing completion of my MSc in IT while doing some other projects, and have worked internationally for the past few years before returning to SA late 2002. I have no ties to Telkom or any other competing company.

I am certain MyADSL provides users with the most objective information available regarding ADSL in South Africa, and we will make certain it remains this way. From the beginning we stated that our purpose is not to slate Telkom, but to give a realistic view regarding ADSL in South Africa. Currently the service is not what it should be, and therefore members give their views about this poor service. We are acting on their behalf in order to try to improve this service.

Regards,

RPM
    rpm@myadsl.co.za

rpm,

Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned in my post, I respect the need for anonymity, and I'm not looking for people's complete and unabridged CV's. The info you volunteered about yourself was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

I also fully support the stated objectives of this site, and appreciate the efforts of our members. However, I do feel that many posts have NOT been very objective and does in fact amount to Telkom-bashing. Posts that simply boils down to "I hate Telkom" doesn't tell me anything useful about ADSL, and doesn't contribute to this site's goals. In fact, it seriously undermines the credibility and efforts of other members who are working hard behind the scenes for real improvements.

If we want Telkom and other bodies to take us seriously we have to ensure that we stay objective and that our integrity (and transparency) is never compromised. How can we demand more profesional services from Telkom if we ourselves don't adopt a similar profesional attitude?

If this site degenerates into a free-for-all bitching space for anyone who's been dumped by their girlfriends and want to blame Telkom for it, its members are going to lose interest quickly, and plenty of hard work would be undone.

Chez

Hi Chez,

I am a senior member and engineering graduate.
    I have been in IT for over 11 years since the good old
    BBS days. I have no affiliation towards any product or brand.

The only connection I have ever had to Telkom are the copper wires
    between them and my home.

ChezAnwyne, I appreciate your views. To a certain extend I have similar questions. RPM's answer was very professional and has once again showed he has a noble intent.

My background: 20+ years I.T. experience. From Mainframe programming (assembler, COBOL, etc.) to PC's and Networks. I have no vested interest in Telkom, other than being a dependant user for their service. I do not have any association with any hardware supplier.
    I do not endorse or support any bashing of anybody what so ever, including Telkom.
    Telkom unfortunately is not always open and transparent in their ADSL operation and it is obvious that people get frustrated. Not everyone using this site is of the same background and it is inevitable that extreme views and opinions will be posted.
    If Telkom had a site similar to this where complains and questions could be answered in a constructive way, it would have almost eliminated this site. Most of us can distinguish between just grumpy people and those that seemed to really get a raw deal. Allowing people a place to de-stress is not necessarily bad. Sure, not all comments are professional and well structured, but that is probably the best that person is capable of. They need somebody to hear them. Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes.

Personally I would like Telkom to participate more openly and constructive. To be honest, if Telkom was my company, I'd cringe being associated to some of the bashing, but then on the other hand, I would take the complaints serious and try and determine how to start working on a plan to address them. Ignoring (or being perceived anyway) people’s complaints and issues doesn't help. I have worked at big corporates and some of the complaints thrown at Telkom are no different than those received by them. One employee can cause a lot of damage to the image and the bigger the organisation the easier than somebody will slip-up and tarnish that image. I do feel Telkom has some work cutout for them on the ADSL implementation and should realise that this forum has managed to attract a lot of attention. Some of the information might just be emotional and bashing, but please don't ignore the value that can be extracted.

I know Telkom is working real hard at their company image and it is very difficult for a big organisation to change and adapt. Deep down in my heart I believe they are trying very hard.
    RPM has started a way in making peoples voices heard, a thing nobody else was prepared to do. I admire the courage and determination. Telkom should also acknowledge it and it will surely have a big mood change reflected on this site.

Nobody likes to be ignored.

Mux.

Thanks microfast

As for myself, I am a BSc graduate and a IT profesional for about 8 years. Also no connection to Telkom, competitors or other products.

Chez

Grandmaster

Lo all.

Hmmm... I'm 15 years old, and have been monitoring the SA telecoms industry since I was about 13!

I haven't got any special qualifications and I only give advise to people when I know it is 100% correct.

I consider myself as more of an "observer"!

Chow, Nick

Nick Smit
    adsl@nicksmit.za.net

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChezAnwyne</i>
    <br />
    If someone is trashing Telkom just because they're a disgruntled ex-employee, I'd like to know about. If someone is 'pushing' Sentech or MegaLan or xxx or yyy, and they turn out to be shareholders, I'd like to know about it. If someone says Marconi modems are crappy Indian black market imports, and they happen to be a Netgear sales rep, I'd like to know about it. Any suggestion of conflict of interest, I'd like to know about it.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    In a way your concern is legitimate, in other ways not. Go figure yourself. This is an ADSL user's site, and I think you can assume most people are just talking from their own experience with ADSL in SA. Some may be disgruntled ex-employees, some may have a vested interest in promoting whatever they are in to - but I think you can pick that up quickly. You should also be able to figure out pretty soon whether someone is just trying to smear Telkom or is actually raising genuine short-comings in their service. And then you can form your own opinion.

As for me, I have no affiliation with Telkom, past of present, or with any of their competitors. I just think Telkom's service is not up to scratch.

And to answer an earlier question of yours:
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    From what I understand, for 'average' users looking for something faster than dial-up, ADSL has been great?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Correct. Dial-up is just not an option for me.

BSc Graduate (majoring in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics) and have been in IT (Software Development) for 9 years.