Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Import tax on laptops

Default Import tax on laptops

Guy I'm thinking about ordering a laptop from ebay or some other american online shop. How much is import tax and is there any way around? I have a few friends in America so maybe I could deliver it there and have them send it here?

Grandmaster

Don't know what the tax would be, but it'll almost certainly be cheaper if they can bring it over as a "gift"

A gift is a lot cheaper than paying import duties and taxes on your stuff. Although unethical, gifts are cheaper....
    Import duties and taxes usually bite you in the 20-40% or so region, depening on the category of item (computer/clothing/jewellery, etc).
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

This Froot is no longer available.....

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    A gift is a lot cheaper than paying import duties and taxes on your stuff. Although unethical, gifts are cheaper....
    Import duties and taxes usually bite you in the 20-40% or so region, depening on the category of item (computer/clothing/jewellery, etc).
    Wow! That much?

Quote Originally Posted by sn3rd View Post
    Wow! That much?
    Yes
    I have friends in the importing business and I actually considered importing "cheaper in Europe than SA" goods but the duties and taxes put me off.
    TEXO Hosting

Grandmaster

That's insane!

"Yay, product x costs the equivalent of R1000 overseas, compared to the R1400 it costs here! What a bargain!"

R1000 * 1.4 = R1400-00

Suddenly Jack was unhappy

Grandmaster
    South of the Jacarandas and north of the Jukskei

As far as I remember all duties on computers were abolished. That means you will only pay VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by zamicro View Post
    As far as I remember all duties on computers were abolished. That means you will only pay VAT.
    Could well be. I haven't been too up to date, I just know that my friend had to really sneak my RAM in from Hong Kong.
    TEXO Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by zamicro View Post
    hmm i hope so because if thats true then the deal is much better...For R9000 i can get a laptop with T9300, 4gb ram, 17" and 2*160gb HD

Quote Originally Posted by pjoub06 View Post
    hmm i hope so because if thats true then the deal is much better...For R9000 i can get a laptop with T9300, 4gb ram, 17" and 2*160gb HD
    That doesn't sound bad at all.
    TEXO Hosting

Super Grandmaster

Just VAT on computers. Been that way for a long time. And trying to bring something in as a gift won't help you unless it has a fairly low value. What they can do is bring it with them as their own and forget to take it home.

There is a document on the SARS site that lists customs duties for everything, although you will have to decode their descriptions to figure out into what category your item falls. Or you can just phone them, they're very helpful.

Apart from possible cost advantages, you probably need to take into account the warranty. Even if your purchase has an International Travellers warranty, you may find that being a South African citizen the warranty will be invalidated. Even if it isn't invalidated, you may be told that no spares are available for your model.
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

Btw, when you import as a gift, just make sure you have the correct insurance?

When your laptop goes missing, and you have it insured as a $2 gift, you'll get paid out $2