Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: SA Post Office & International Mail

Grandmaster

Default SA Post Office & International Mail

Does anyone perhaps know how long it takes for the SA Post Office to process a package from the US to one of the local post offices?

I have a package which arrived in SA on 22 May and was last scanned yesterday. The PO tells me the parcel is still at the airport.

What do they do there the whole day, because it doesn't seem like they forward parcels onto where they need to go?
    I don't use rubber bullets.

I've been waiting for a package from ebay in the US - was posted on 1st May. I hope like hell its not lost!!!!

When was your package posted?

I think once the Parcel reaches Customs, they'll post you a note requesting you to phone them, then after you call them and answer their questions they'll send it to the Post Office.

A few months ago my mum ordered something of a website, so after getting the note, she had to phone, tell them what was in the package and they sent it to the Post Office.

--
    You can track the Parcel Here
    http://ahms.za.net/parcel.php
    Parcel Tracking >>> www.ParcelTrack.co.za
    Need a USA Address for online shopping? http://www.parceltrack.co.za/shipito
    Accounting Services http://irp5.co.za/

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by gregmcc View Post
    I've been waiting for a package from ebay in the US - was posted on 1st May. I hope like hell its not lost!!!!

When was your package posted?
    My package was posted on 17 May 2008 from Franklin. The US Postal Web site is much more up to date than our local version.

Yes i know we live in Africa, but still.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by mh348 View Post
    I think once the Parcel reaches Customs, they'll post you a note requesting you to phone them, then after you call them and answer their questions they'll send it to the Post Office.

A few months ago my mum ordered something of a website, so after getting the note, she had to phone, tell them what was in the package and they sent it to the Post Office.

--
    You can track the Parcel Here
    http://ahms.za.net/parcel.php
    I have never been contacted by customs before. Thanks for the link. I guess it is a case of hurry up and waite.

If you have the foreign tracking code (USPS) e-mail the SAPO customer service asking for the local tracking number and the current status.

In most cases if they can't find an invoice for the product attached to the waybill they send a stupid postcard. If you stay on top of it via phone or email you can fax through the invoice and they'll release it.

ALSO - in some cases the item is actually at the post office closest to you but the public's SAPO tracking is crap so it never updates.

Best to email and phone - but on the phone ensure you have the local tracking number first otherwise they're not very helpful.

Grandmaster

Thanks q.

I got the local tracking number from the call centre and they have been very helpful till now, but i'm itching to get the parcel. Thats why i wanted to know if any one here had an idea as to how long it takes.

I'm on them like a rash.

Also if you're going to be shipping anything of value via USPS use the USPS Express Mail International - this is about as quick as any courier company and the post office will deliver to your door. Make sure that you have cash or a chqeue on hand if customs duties need to be paid.

If you use Priority Mail International (or First Class Mail) then everything goes through the post office and customs quite slowly and you're basically in a queue and you'll have to wait for a slip to go fetch the item at the designated post office.

Gonna see if I can get a tracking number and then will contact them.

Thanks.

Ady - you need to find out where the parcel currently is (use the International Mail Center contact number). If they say its at the post office closest to you and you don't have a slip - just take the reference number to the counter and ask for the item. If they say they don't have it and the IMC says they do - they have to look until its found. It helps if you tell them which day it arrived at the post office too (when collecting).

Grandmaster

Phoned the call centre and they say the parcel is at customs. Do you perhaps know how long it will sit at customs for?

Its easier for a Zimbabwean to get into the country than it is for me to get my package!

maybe my package is also waiting at customs!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by gregmcc View Post
    maybe my package is also waiting at customs!
    Get on them and find out. Perhaps someone will take a liking to it and keep it for themselves.

thats what I'm worried about.

I bought a logitech harmoney universal remote!!!

Hello

There is currently a backlog at Customs at OR Tambo. Whilst I am not sure what is going on, my shipments of electronic components have been stuck there for 2 weeks and I am about to go there and assault someone.

I feel your pain

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast